I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!!

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I started this so others who missed the I can't see thread might pick up on it.

In that thread, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/351885-cant-see-when-welding.html , I and many others said they had a real hard time seeing much of anything when they are MIG welding.

I did some research and decided to try an ANTRA helmet that has adjustments all the way down to shade 5.

This is what I got:

Antra AH6-660-101S Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with AntFi X60-6 Wide Shade Range 4/5-9/9-13 with Grinding Feature Extra lens covers Good for Arc Tig Mig Plasma CSA/ANSI Certified By Colts Lab - - Amazon.com

If that link doesn't work, search "AH6-660-101S" on Amazon.

It comes in three different lens sizes and multiple designs. Different sizes and different designs determine the final price. I got the middle sized lens and the skull design as I though it would be easier to find when I set it down somewhere. If you get basic black with the standard lens size, you can get it for as little as $59. My combo of size and color was $79 with free shipping...without PRIME !.

It has a selector switch which allows you to have 2 ranges of darkening. One setting gets you from shade 5 to shade 8. Flip a switch and you get shade 9 to 13. the individual shade is determined by an easy to reach outside knob located at your left temple. Turn the knob to 'grind' and it shuts of the darkener circuit and gives you a shade 4 for grinding. It comes with several outside clear lens covers and an additional inner lens cover. Also 2 spare batteries. I also ordered a 1.75 cheater lens.

The headband is easy to install, is easy to adjust and comfortable. If you flip the mask back over your heard, it stays there.

Now to the test.

I have a Hobart Handler 140 which has 5 amperages to the torch, labelled 1-5, so I don't know what amperage I actually use. I set it on 3. I set the shade on 9 and ran a bead down some scrap steel. As expected it was too dark, like my old helmet.

I cranked it down to 8 and I could see! I turned it down to 7 and I could see BETTER! Lower than that and it was too bright, but I'm positive a 5 or 6 would be perfect for OxyAcet torches.

So 7 or 8 was perfect for me. I could see the work and I could see the puddles perfectly. I put the cheater in and it helped a lot. I left my glasses on. I did not try it without the cheaters as what I saw was perfect as it is. There is no 'click' setting on the shades, so you can get an infinitely adjustable shade setting like 7.5 or 8.25 etc.

I didn't use it with my Lincoln AC tombstone but I'm sure it will be perfect with that when I figure the proper setting for it.

I am exceptionally happy with this helmet.

Try it, you hard of seeing guys. I bet you'll like it.

[h=1][/h]

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #4  
Good to hear! I have the Hobart Handler 140 as well, guess I'll be adding that helmet to my Amazon wish list. Give us an update after you have used it more.

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #5  
At least in the old style welding helmets;anything less than "9" is too light for most welding.You could damage your eyes by using too light of a lens.

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #6  
Great to Hear,
I am still impressed with mine-, especially with the versatility (tig, Mig, Stick, Oxy-Acetylene, Plasma cut and grind) all with very good results. Hopefully California will get a chance to try his antra out in the near future

I did find that when mig welding in a well lit area it works good at 9-13, and tried a dark area on low amps @ 8.6 setting it could use a little external light. Since then have used mine at 9-13 for welding. Only on mig welding in a poorly lit area on low amps does it seem to need some extra light.

Did find this on Lincolns site:

Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application.

Arc weld has a point about combining cheater lenses with lower darkness settings -

I am super happy my new Antra, but will be careful with settings especially since i also use a cheater lens sometimes.

Last edited:
   / I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #7  
I hate to be captain obvious but a shade 7 lens and a 1.75 cheater might let you see better for the moment but not so much down the road.

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #8  
... Hopefully California will get a chance to try his antra out in the near future
Ok, ok. :D I haven't broken anything, or needed to fabricate anything, recently so I haven't had a need to get out the welder. Here's what I've been tinkering on while it rained. And I got in a few hours on the tractor clearing runoff channels before the rain came back. When I have a couple of hours to tinker with welding I'll try out the helmet and report here.

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #9  
My cheap helmet goes from 8 (or maybe 9) to 13. I often do low power mig welds so it's always at the lowest setting. On a couple of occasions I've cranked the power up and forgot to "darken" up the helmet. You can see the puddle great but as others have said it's not good for your eyes. Be careful with those low settings.

/ I CAN see while welding !!!!!!! Try this helmet !!!! #10  
Ok, ok. :D I haven't broken anything, or needed to fabricate anything, recently so I haven't had a need to get out the welder. Here's what I've been tinkering on while it rained. And I got in a few hours on the tractor clearing runoff channels before the rain came back. When I have a couple of hours to tinker with welding I'll try out the helmet and report here.

:D no pressure- looks like you have been busy
I will probably have to read-re-read that thread a couple times to get a picture of the wireless project