Input for a multi process welder.

/ Input for a multi process welder.
   / Input for a multi process welder. #12  
I think formerly this was the Thermal Arc 211i multiprocess welder. However when I go to the Thermal Arc (Victor Technologies) site today, I see ESAB here and there. Hummmmmmm, is there Miller, Lincoln and really only one other guy? Oh yeah Hobart too I guess.

Nope. Hobart = Miller. Miller has owned Hobart for at least a few years now. Suspect their welders are basically the same plus/minus some features.

/ Input for a multi process welder. #13  
For home/hobby work, the Miller Multimatic 200 Miller Multimatic 200 With WP17 TIG Kit 951649 is worth looking at. It is smaller than the stationary Lincoln and Miller multiprocess welders and is dual voltage. Similar in capacity to the Thermal Arc/Tweeco 211i but is built into a Pelican type suitcase. Does MIG and stick and with an optional kit TIG. Can run a spool gun for Al. I have one and find it very useful as I frequently find myself welding where there is no 220v available. Very portable.

/ Input for a multi process welder. #14  
I have the Thermal Arc Fabricator 221i which is the same as the now Tweco and it is a really fine machine. If you can swing it, get the spool gun, you can weld aluminum. Bob

/ Input for a multi process welder. #15  
I think formerly this was the Thermal Arc 211i multiprocess welder. However when I go to the Thermal Arc (Victor Technologies) site today, I see ESAB here and there. Hummmmmmm, is there Miller, Lincoln and really only one other guy? Oh yeah Hobart too I guess.
The Colfax company who owns ESAB has also bought The Thermadyne / Victor Group of Tweco, Thermal Arc, Stoody, Arc Air, Turbo Torch, Thermal Dynamics. ESAB dumped most all of their welders and all Plasma Cutters and now sells the Thermadyne / Victor line. ESAB also did away with the Purox torch line to sell Victor. The merger is a MESS. Good for ESAB but Bad for the Thermadyne / Victor side I hear.

/ Input for a multi process welder. #16  
The Colfax company who owns ESAB has also bought The Thermadyne / Victor Group of Tweco, Thermal Arc, Stoody, Arc Air, Turbo Torch, Thermal Dynamics. ESAB dumped most all of their welders and all Plasma Cutters and now sells the Thermadyne / Victor line. ESAB also did away with the Purox torch line to sell Victor. The merger is a MESS. Good for ESAB but Bad for the Thermadyne / Victor side I hear.

Thanks for the info. Can't know the players without a scorecard, even in the welder business.

/ Input for a multi process welder.
Thanks for the info. Can't know the players without a scorecard, even in the welder business.

Here today, gone tomorrow. The MBAs are making a real mess of business in this country and even the world in general. They are right down there with lawyers in my book. Almost as bad but just by a bit.

/ Input for a multi process welder. #18  

Totally agree the merger was/is a MESS. They discontinued their new torches and regulators that were only introduced a few years ago. I didn't personally like the new 3 tube torches and loved the old ones but have had several calls asking about rosebuds and welding tips only to have to tell customers that they aren't available and there's nothing else that will work on their new torch. Larger customers who bought several torches may qualify for an exchange program for Victor torches but the guy that bought one torch is out of luck. Esab also told me they've discontinued parts for any gas apparatus over 7 years old. It pains me to still recommend Victor torches as replacements because they are so popular. Nothing against Victor torches, it's more about the horrible way Colfax *&^%#$ Purox users. Torches and regulators can easily last 40 or 50 years with nothing more than occasional maintenance. Even to rebuild a regulator is usually less than half the cost of new and will last another 20 or so years.

/ Input for a multi process welder. #19  
I had just bought a TWICO 211i, and it is suppose to be delivered today by FedExp ... I'll be lucky if that happens as FedExp doesn't do very well delivering out into the boondocks. I understand the 211i can do all forms of welding except TIG on aluminum - it is not an AC machine. My only experience is stick and shield wire welding; so I'll be going through a learning curve once I get this thing set up .... I need to make a new gas tank for my BCS walk-behind and I hope to do that using TWICO's TIG on sheet metal.

/ Input for a multi process welder. #20  
You can Tig weld aluminum with a DC only welder. You'll need a bottle of helium. It does run hot. About half the amps as with AC. This weld was done on DCEN, with 100% helium.

Attachments

• 100 % Helium.jpg
    100 % Helium.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 151