Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects...

/ Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #1  

sd455dan

Tractor
Rhino 554, Ford 550 TLB (JD X500, MTD, Gilson riding mowers) Ford 3000-Sold
Wondering what kind of set ups Tbners have come up with for cutting circles on outside projects- where the hole needs to be cut (on the job).

Wanted to change my trailers tie down brackets on my fifth wheel. The tie downs I have have a hook and there was no good way to hook them on the tie down points on my trailer.
Last time out one actually popped off after hitting a good whoopdee doo in the road:eek:

I tried boring a hole with my stepped drill, but it was taking forever and gave up. Next tried the plasma free hand- Well that ain't going to do.

finally found an old magnet steel support from a blown subwoofer and used vice grips to hold it to the tie down mount and using the (wire) plasma cutter tip guide was able to cut all 17 holes. finished last night :cool2: Seen here after returning from the 1 st trip and test.

trailer  tie down mods.jpg just made it into our drive today with some Alfalfa and wife noticed the tire was almost flat..:thumbdown:

The speaker (guide) worked to plasma cut the holes for me, but will only do one hole size ...

What do you guys use when doing outside (the garage/shop) circle cuts with plasma???

It would be nice- if someone has made/ bought? an adjustable version..??..

Last edited:
   / Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #3  
Flange Wizard makes a nice circle cutter for plasma. They sell a longer bar too. I made one to use with my rotating table.

Attachments

• circle plasma 1.JPG
    circle plasma 1.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 290
  • Circles plasma 2.JPG
    Circles plasma 2.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 365
  • Circles plasma 3.JPG
    Circles plasma 3.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Circles plasma 4.JPG
    Circles plasma 4.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 230
   / Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #4  
For small holes where the circle cutting guides won't work I've found using the inner hole in large washers works well - also cut templates from 1/8" MDF, 1/4" oversize will work if I can't find a washer of good size - can make any shape cutout with the MDF.

/ Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #5  
Having done lowbed/equipment moves (since I was a kid) this is the way I was originally taught to hang your hook.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458328575.948429.jpg

That way if your chain or strap DOES come loose in transit the hook is less likely to fall off.

I bought these circle templates off eBay and I can't find the link.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458328687.136327.jpg

They have inside and outside diameters etched on them as well as a right angle "cross for alignment. The marked diameters allow for the offset of your plasma tip.

Terry

/ Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #6  
Or get some ratchet straps with chains and hook then just loop the chain thru the stake pockets as shown above. Drop hook thru stake pocket then bring it up and hook over the outside of the SP.

You can get them in 2" and 4" strap width.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1458329797.152229.jpg

/ Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects...
Having done lowbed/equipment moves (since I was a kid) this is the way I was originally taught to hang your hook.

View attachment 461376

That way if your chain or strap DOES come loose in transit the hook is less likely to fall off.

I bought these circle templates off eBay and I can't find the link.

View attachment 461377

They have inside and outside diameters etched on them as well as a right angle "cross for alignment. The marked diameters allow for the offset of your plasma tip.

Terry

Yes Terry that is the way I have always, and still do chains on trailers.

Unfortunately the nylon? tie-downs i bought before getting this trailer, are the round welded hook design-

that will not fit through the welded c channel between the outside trailer framing.

The new holes work great with the straps I have and even if loose are somewhat retained (must be rotated into position), also this way does not wrap the strap around the metal edge of the c channel , reducing chaffing/abrasion of the tie down webbing.
So the holes are working great and can still usethe chains as before.

Those circle templates are Exactly what I was hoping for.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects...
Or get some ratchet straps with chains and hook then just loop the chain thru the stake pockets as shown above. Drop hook thru stake pocket then bring it up and hook over the outside of the SP.

You can get them in 2" and 4" strap width.

View attachment 461378

Thanks, If i pick up a couple more straps, Those look like the ticket,- and add a little variety / adaptability to the mix.

/ Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #9  
Yes Terry that is the way I have always, and still do chains on trailers.

Unfortunately the nylon? tie-downs i bought before getting this trailer, are the round welded hook design-

that will not fit through the welded c channel between the outside trailer framing.

The new holes work great with the straps I have and even if loose are somewhat retained (must be rotated into position), also this way does not wrap the strap around the metal edge of the c channel , reducing chaffing/abrasion of the tie down webbing.
So the holes are working great and can still usethe chains as before.

Those circle templates are Exactly what I was hoping for.:thumbsup:
I was taught to put the chain to the lower frame. Supposable less likely to bend the trailer. Any thoughts form the group. My guess the way showed here is that it a binder let loose the chain will situ]ill have a place to hold.

/ Plasma cutters- circle cutting on outside projects... #10  
sd455dan I still can't find the eBay listing.
Here's the instruction sheet with some contact info....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458358215.973088.jpg

Terry