I wish I could weld

/ I wish I could weld #1  

Eric Salop

Elite Member
Tractor
Ferguson TEF20, Iseki TG6495
At 60 years of age I am perhaps getting a bit old to start learning to weld with volts and amps, however it is something I have always wanted to try. Last year, inspired to take things further by the things I have read on this forum and wanting to find out more, I persuaded a friend who makes his living from welding to take me in to where he works for half a day to briefly try my hand at a little stick and mig welding.

His big 3-phase mig machine was impressive and surprisingly to me, not that difficult to handle. The stick invertor was tiny in comparison, although still very effective in my friend's hands. He explained how stick would probably better suit my needs, particularly from being able to use it outside. Best of all, he told me that decent quality stick machines were relatively cheap. All great news, except when I tried it and burnt half a dozen rods the results were terrible - way more difficult than mig. He told me the answer with stick was practice and after that, a lot more practice. Also that I should try and keep the arc tight, not to look at it but look at the puddle and to listen for a sound like bacon cooking on a fast sizzle.

Last week, after many winter nights whiling away the time reading on the internet, I bought myself a ParWeld 160 inverter welder and an ESAB light reactive helmet to go with it. Living in the UK, all our wall sockets are rated at 230V, which makes it easy to buy a machine that will readily supply the current for a 3.2mm (1/8") rod. Yesterday I got to try it out for a couple of hours. In truth I spent more time searching out and roughly clearing up a few pieces of scrap steel than I did welding, but it was very enjoyable to at long last be melting some metal. As you can see, I have a long way to go yet !

Practice 1.jpg Practice 2.jpg Practice 3.jpg Practice 4.jpg

[2.5mm(3/32") 6013, with dial set to 80A]

A pack of grinding wheels are next on my shopping list and after that some more practice.

If you any advice (apart from, if you use the same saying, don't give up the day job :) ), that would be most welcome.

/ I wish I could weld #2  
Eric they don't look bad at all! Do yourself a big favor, clean the metal real well before welding on it.
Far as Mig being easy. Back when there was a lot of manufacturing in the USA, there was a term for guys who could only run Mig. Mig monkeys. With only a couple hours of training they could make great looking welds, but that doesn't mean the welds are strong! :thumbdown:

/ I wish I could weld #3  
I am in exactly the same boat as you. Maybe 6 months ahead but older so you will catch up quick. Just keep practicing. I like to find little dumb things to make just so I can convince my self I am welding :laughing: You do get better with practice. Have fun !!!!

gg

/ I wish I could weld #4  
I welded in college 50 years ago and picked it up again at age 63 when I bought my ranch. Started with stick (Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC welder, $400 at Tractor Supply) and later wire feed (Hobart 140, $500 at Tractor Supply).

For stick welding, start with the easy rods (1/8" 6014, 7024) usually called drag rods. You angle the rod about 30 degrees from vertical and drag the rod along the bead path. Easy peasy. Then you can try your hand at the more difficult rods (6010, 6011, 7018). No quick and easy way to get proficient except practice, practice, practice.

Check YouTube for ideas on how to run test welds. Get yourself a good metal chop saw so you can section your test welds and check penetration.

Good luck.

/ I wish I could weld #5  
Looking good Eric.
Try a variety of metal thicknesses and rods. I only practiced on 1/4" and thicker, then my first real weld was a patch on a bush hog deck that was about 10 gauge. I blew a number of holes before I got it dialed in.

/ I wish I could weld #6  
I took a couple of adult ed courses in welding at the local vocational high school starting at about age 60. It is a great way to learn as you get theory, safety, equipment and immediate informed feedback on your welding efforts. I'd suggest taking a course before you purchase any equipment other than personal protective equipment. My only advice other than "do it" would be to buy several pairs of "cheaters" before you start. Gotta be able to see the weld puddle clearly and 60 year old eyes don't focus close without correction. You'll need different strength lenses if you intend to learn multiple welding techniques as for example you need to be closer to a delicate TIG weld than to a stick weld. Cheaters can be found at local welding shops and fit inside standard helmets. You can also just wear reading glasses but I found it more practical to have the cheaters in the helmet so I didn't have to fiddle with them when I take the helmet off. Don't use bifocal or progressive lenses as you will be forced to look down to see the puddle and you'd rather look straight ahead.

/ I wish I could weld #7  
Have to echo the advice about cleaning the metal good first. Sometimes I forget and it's obvious afterwards -- the welder wastes energy burning through mill scale and rust and that shows up in the weld quality and the spatters.

I took a welding course when I was a teenager, it was a night class at a vocational tech school and most other students were adults. Learned to stick weld very well, but then was away from it for 20+ years. When I got back into welding I decided to purchase a mig unit, and almost exclusively run flux-core wire for the versatility (can do it outdoors unlike when running with shielding gas). I have to say I am delighted with the results. It feels like I am cheating most of the time. Much easier than stick. I think that could be a liability if someone were just playing around and not really careful.

/ I wish I could weld #8  
I am 52 and want to learn to weld. I've looked into the vo-techs in the area, and can't find any that offer welding as continuing ed, only full-blown courses for those wanting to make welding a career. I've considered just buying a mig welder and going for it, but haven't done yet. I've watched lots of how-to videos on youtube, and if I can't find someone/someplace to teach me, they may be my primary source for getting started.

/ I wish I could weld #9  
I am 52 and want to learn to weld. I've looked into the vo-techs in the area, and can't find any that offer welding as continuing ed, only full-blown courses for those wanting to make welding a career. I've considered just buying a mig welder and going for it, but haven't done yet. I've watched lots of how-to videos on youtube, and if I can't find someone/someplace to teach me, they may be my primary source for getting started.

Welding tips and tricks.com is the best. Jody really knows his stuff.

Welding Tips and Tricks - TIG, MIG, Stick and a pantload of other info

/ I wish I could weld #10  

If you have or foresee numerous welding projects coming and don't have some other way of "getting it done" get a decent welder (not a HF) and practice.
Don't wait until you HAVE TO have something welded to continue a job or project. Then you will have to pay a welder, money which could have gone towards equipment.
There's enough you-tube stuff to really show you how to do it.