PowerArc 200ST

/ PowerArc 200ST #1  

12Bravo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 TLB, Gill 5' Scraper Blade (Tilt/Angle)
Just wanted to give an update, it's been a few weeks since I have received the new welder.

I SUCK at welding! Not pretty, but my welded on chain hooks held up to a 16" diameter 20+ foot long locust log.

/ PowerArc 200ST #2  
Good deal. Was that on 120 or 240v?

/ PowerArc 200ST
Good deal. Was that on 120 or 240v?

240V, The last guy to own my house had a generator. We don't have one, so I converted the cable coming out of panel into a 50A/220V plug.

/ PowerArc 200ST
Alright, can I have some pointers on how to practice, so I can get better and make better welds?

E6011 rods in 3/32 and 1/8

/ PowerArc 200ST #5  
Download Miller welds welding calculator on your smart phone or use the web app on your PC to get starting current for the rods you intend to use. I would start with the 3/32. Lower current and easier to start with. Get at least two 4 1/2 angle grinders. One with 80 grit flapwheel and other with wire brush. Always start with clean bare metal whenever possible. 6011 will weld dirty metal, but even it will have better results with clean bare metal. Think "slow down" and watch the puddle. Move whe the puddle fills. Most new guys go to fast. Take your time. Adjust your helmet shade so that you can see the puddle clearly. Start your strike away from the end then move to the end and weld back over your arcstrike.
Try some 7014 it is a very easy rod to learn with.

/ PowerArc 200ST #6  
I think this is consistent with all of us who own PowerArcs, they run hot compared to other machines. Start at the number suggested but I think you will find you need to turn it down. Running hot is probably due to the frequency they run at but this is not a bad thing.

What I am waiting for is PowerArc to run his 200 and see what thickness he can do with in one of his cut tests. Pushing the limits of the machine.

/ PowerArc 200ST #7  
Use the "E6010" port for ground cable with the 6011 rod. Don't understand the principles of it, but does seem to run smoother. Just be sure to move cable back to normal port with other rods or it will splatter all over, been there done that and felt like a fool.
I find it easier to fine tune the output setting when running smaller rods to (70 amp or less) to plug it into 120v outlet, this gives more know rotation per amp because max output on 120v is 110 - 120 amp.