Swag PortAband Table ?????

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I just bought a Milwaukee PortAband and am seriously considering a Swag PortAband table for making straight cuts on smaller pieces. The reviews on them seem very good - to good to be true actually. All perfect, except for a past problem with the miter groove sizing. Can you guys confirm that these Swag tables are as good as the reviews that I see on the Swag site say they are?? Thanks

gg

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #3  
I have the Milwaukee Portaband and bought the SWAG table. Very good quality... no complaints... no issue with the miter groove. Easy to assemble and all fits together very well. I wouldn't hesitate. Get the optional foot pedal and put a spring clamp on the trigger. Makes life much easier.

/ Swag PortAband Table ?????
OK thanks to booth of you - it is better to here it from people you trust. My saw is still in the mail not in my hands yet. From your pictures Scooby it looks like you just scribe the outline, catch a notch/hole in the saw, and add a thumb screw. Very good - seems quite doable.

While I'm here what blade(s) would you recommend for 1/8" to 1/2" mild steel ??

gg

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #5  
I have used DeWalt, Lenox, Morse, and no-name blades from McMaster Carr. Generally cutting 3/16 - 3/4 inch material. Of these, the Morse 10-14 tpi variable pitch bimetal blades seem to be the best, in terms of fast cut, smooth cut, and how long they last before breaking

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #6  
OK thanks to booth of you - it is better to here it from people you trust. My saw is still in the mail not in my hands yet. From your pictures Scooby it looks like you just scribe the outline, catch a notch/hole in the saw, and add a thumb screw. Very good - seems quite doable.

While I'm here what blade(s) would you recommend for 1/8" to 1/2" mild steel ??

gg

Thats all there is too it! Getting the contour of the cutout is the only hard part. You dont want to go too deep. I made a template out of cardboard for the first attempt. Then you need a way to mount the table to something. I have receiver tubes welded to my welding table and just used one of them to hold up the portaband saw/table combo.

I wouldnt sweat making a mitre groove/slot. It can be done and I considered it, but I never have had a need for a mitre gauge yet, i just free hand it, its very easy to use.

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #7  
I also have the Milwaukee 6232-21 variable speed Porta-Band. I've been using the Morse 10/14 TPI blades cutting 1/4"-3/8" mild steel shapes for a frame for a ballast barrel I'll be building this spring. They work well for this purpose and seem to last well if you don't try to "horse" them through the material. I am planning on getting the SWAG table in the future as well so I'll look forward to comments from others who have used them.
Rick

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #8  
I'm using a 14tpi blade for thin plate and bar stock up to 1/2in. I'm no expert though. Here is a pic of my SWAG table kind of tucked away at the moment. I use a couple different miter gauges on my table with no issue. Here is a pic with my wood-backed one sitting on the table from my Delta table saw. Notice the large well-made foot pedal as well... again, highly recommend this accessory otherwise you will be fiddling behind your blade for on/off.

IMG_7482.jpg

/ Swag PortAband Table ????? #9  
Thanks guys, looks like I will be having a shop in 2 places on the same land. This will help in the basement shop. Ed

/ Swag PortAband Table ?????
The foot switch sounds like a good idea. I am thinking that I will have to rig up a power switch anyway since I will need a clamp of some sort on the saw variable speed trigger to hold it on. I might as well use the easy and convenient foot switch. Thanks for all the info on the table and blades everyone.

gg