Filling gaps

/ Filling gaps #1  

houser52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600
My dad's tractor loader bucket is worn thin on the bottom rear and is rusted/pitted pretty bad. He picked up two pieces of 1/4" X 6" steel that I welded to the inside of the bottom of the bucket. The scrap yard cut the pieces of steel 1/2" too short and there's a 1/4" gap on both ends from the sides of the bucket.

To fill in those gaps I had thought about laying a piece of 1/4" round rod in the gaps and welding it to the steel plate and to the sides of the bucket. I think that would tie everything together making everything stronger.

Am I going about this the right way?

/ Filling gaps #2  
That is called slugging the weld. People do it all the time. ;)

Attachments

• Slug 1.JPG
    Slug 1.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Slug 2.JPG
    Slug 2.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 269
   / Filling gaps
Thanks for the good info and I also learned a new word today, slugging.:thumbsup:
Now I just have to get it finished.

Thanks again

/ Filling gaps #4  
We call it the western gap rod up here. Sometimes you take another rod and knock the flux off and use it like a TIG filler rod while burning a rod in the stinger. Maybe that should be called STIG welding?

/ Filling gaps #6  
We call it the western gap rod up here. Sometimes you take another rod and knock the flux off and use it like a TIG filler rod while burning a rod in the stinger. Maybe that should be called STIG welding?

Oooooo. I like the sound of that! :D

/ Filling gaps #8  
1/4" gap welding 1/4" plate should be doable without anything extra, unless the bucket sides are real thin or something. If so, I'd just turn the heat down, lay a pass on the bucket side on each side, knock the slag off. You should now be down to ~1/8" gap. Perfect.....weld it up with a second pass

/ Filling gaps
1/4" gap welding 1/4" plate should be doable without anything extra, unless the bucket sides are real thin or something. If so, I'd just turn the heat down, lay a pass on the bucket side on each side, knock the slag off. You should now be down to ~1/8" gap. Perfect.....weld it up with a second pass

Yeah, I'd looked at doing that but wasn't sure about it. Some places on the bucket are really thin. The more I studied it the better using a rod for filler looked.

/ Filling gaps #10  
I've used 7 ga. tension wire for filler when welding some serious gaps on diagonal braces on cantilever gates. Fed it in like tig rod. It's difficult to get a good fit up on those without spending an inordinate amount of time on each one.