New MIG welder

/ New MIG welder #1  

rosso1000

Tractor
Lamborghini
I am in the market for a new MIG welder, it will be used for farm equipment repairs and small projects like building a tractor trailer. I have been welding quite a lot in the past so I have certain skills, however I have trouble choosing a budget welder, If you have 3000$ you buy a Miller knowing it will work. I also have an old stick welder which is working fine, I just want to speed the process a little bit. So I found this review on 140 amp Hobart MIG Welder -

drillselect.com
apparently they work fine at low amperage. Does anyone here have it? What would you suggest in $500 price range??

/ New MIG welder #2  
Be careful! A lot of times the manufactures over rate these Mig welders on paper, but in the real world they will not preform. I personally wouldn't build a trailer with less than a 200-AMP Mig welder.

/ New MIG welder #3  
Hobart Welders has their own forum, Weld Talk Message Board and Online Forum - Hobart Welders I've been a member there for at least 10 years and all sorts of good information on the site about Hobart / Miller and other welding products/

Myself, I run 2 Hobart MIG units in a semi production enviroment and both have run flawlessly for the last 5 years at least. I would agree with Shieldarc, you need a 200 amp machine / 220 volt for trailer fab work. Myself, I'm using Hobart 190 amp MIG with 75/25 shielding gas welding 3/16" flat material and prepped (mitered and fitted up joints) in HR high strength low carbon steel with good results using either Lincoln or INE solid wire (Hobart wire is basically junk). The 190 machines I have provide excellent wet-out, are very controllable (varible wire speed and multi tap amperage and have a robust enough duty cycle to run for hours on end without overheating ir extending the duty cycle plus they will do limited spray transfer.

I'm very happy with both, both were excellent buys and have served my shop quite well with no issues whatsoever.

/ New MIG welder #4  
When it comes to Mig / wire welders, there is no substitute for power!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Everlast 1.JPG
    Everlast 1.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Everlast 2.JPG
    Everlast 2.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 248
  • NR-211 A.JPG
    NR-211 A.JPG
    534.5 KB · Views: 210
  • NR-211 B.JPG
    NR-211 B.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 222
  • V350-Pro 1.JPG
    V350-Pro 1.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 234
  • V350-Pro 2.JPG
    V350-Pro 2.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 228
   / New MIG welder #5  
When it comes to Mig / wire welders, there is no substitute for power!:thumbsup:

Is there any real substitute for power in any welding process? I know prep and bevel and multi-pass etc all help; but .......

/ New MIG welder #6  
Hobart Welders has their own forum, Weld Talk Message Board and Online Forum - Hobart Welders I've been a member there for at least 10 years and all sorts of good information on the site about Hobart / Miller and other welding products/

Myself, I run 2 Hobart MIG units in a semi production enviroment and both have run flawlessly for the last 5 years at least. I would agree with Shieldarc, you need a 200 amp machine / 220 volt for trailer fab work. Myself, I'm using Hobart 190 amp MIG with 75/25 shielding gas welding 3/16" flat material and prepped (mitered and fitted up joints) in HR high strength low carbon steel with good results using either Lincoln or INE solid wire (Hobart wire is basically junk). The 190 machines I have provide excellent wet-out, are very controllable (varible wire speed and multi tap amperage and have a robust enough duty cycle to run for hours on end without overheating ir extending the duty cycle plus they will do limited spray transfer.

I'm very happy with both, both were excellent buys and have served my shop quite well with no issues whatsoever.

Boy, anytime I even THINK (which isn't often) that I know a little about welding, I come across a post like this one. It's like reading Greek to me. :)

/ New MIG welder #7  
QUOTE=rosso1000;4435020]I am in the market for a new MIG welder, it will be used for farm equipment repairs and small projects like building a tractor trailer. I have been welding quite a lot in the past so I have certain skills, however I have trouble choosing a budget welder, If you have 3000$ you buy a Miller knowing it will work. I also have an old stick welder which is working fine, I just want to speed the process a little bit. So I found this review on 140 amp Hobart MIG Welder -

drillselect.com
apparently they work fine at low amperage. Does anyone here have it? What would you suggest in $500 price range??[/QUOTE]

I own three MIG units: a Hobart 135, a Lincoln 155, and a Miller 210. I have welded extensively with all three. A small MIG loses to an old stick anytime the steel is thicker than 1/8". You can weld 3/16 with flux core wire, but that doesn't save you any time. Neither does making multiple passes. There's nothing in the $500 price range, unless you find a used unit with an owner desperate to get cash. Shield Arc is correct. Use the stick.

/ New MIG welder #9  
Is there any real substitute for power in any welding process? I know prep and bevel and multi-pass etc all help; but .......

There is... It's called TIG, (Tungsten Inert Gas Welding) and power is less of a factor than prep and operator skill.

I like MG. It's the 'glue gun' of the weld world.

/ New MIG welder
Thank you guys for all the answers, as I said I welded quite a lot with stick. Problem with stick is welding thin sheet metal. I am just not good enough to stick weld 1mm -2mm steel sheet. What if I stick weld trailer frame and the MIG weld (with small 140 amp welder) trailer sides? would that work?