Ugly beads, critics welcome...

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
Okay, so I've finally started learning to stick weld, and figured I'd give some of you a chuckle, or maybe you can make suggestions. I've spent maybe three hours putting down beads, so it's a huge understatement to say I have a lot to learn. The bottom six were with 1/8" E6011 set DCEP. The top five (six really because the second from bottom was two separate beads) were with 1/8" E7018, also DCEP. The plate is probably 3/8" thick and I'm not exactly sure of the amperage settings because of the way my welder is set up (Hobart Champion Elite). I was using the middle coarse range (70-150amps) and around 7 on the fine range for the 6011 and 8.5 with the 7018.

Too hot, too cold, traveling too fast/slow, long/short arc, etc...tell me what you see. I know the first bead I ran off the edge, most of the beads I ended without really filling in the puddle and I had a couple of stop/start gaps when I found myself out of position and had to shift position to keep moving. Anyway, have a laugh, or post your thoughts.

Last edited:
   / Ugly beads, critics welcome... #2  
I ain't laughing, better than I can do!!

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #3  
Rod control is paramount. Nice, slow, easy, sweeping swings of the rod is the secret to strength and beauty. A beautiful bead is generally a strong bead.

If possible spend some time with a friend that can weld. Put on a helmet and watch him/her. You will learn rod control quickly. With a short session of watching and asking questions you will speed up your learning curve dramatically.

Nice work!!!

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #4  
GManBart those don't look bad at all!:thumbsup: It's very hard to make welds look good on a flat plate. They will look better when doing lap, or fillet joints. But for now, start stacking the beads half way on top of each other. Then move on to lap, and fillet joints. Again very nice!

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #5  
An hour with Shield Arc would be priceless. :)

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #7  
Road trip G-Man! Off to Washington with you.

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #8  
It's not that far from MI to WA....... They are both Northern States...... ;)

/ Ugly beads, critics welcome... #9