Will my generator run my welder?

/ Will my generator run my welder? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I need to weld something in my machinery barn that has no power. Will my 10,000 watt, 12,000 surge generator run my Lincoln MP210 for five minutes of MIG welding?

/ Will my generator run my welder? #2  
Inverters like clean power, the quality of current is the factor that I would look into

/ Will my generator run my welder? #3  
The generator is plenty big enough as long as the power is clean. I've used my generator with my welder before and didn't have any issues.

/ Will my generator run my welder?
The generator was made 15 years ago and is in excellent condition if that helps.

So no one thinks I'm going to hurt either the welder or the generator by doing this?

I'm going to weld that item tomorrow and it's just a piece of plate steel.

/ Will my generator run my welder? #6  
A generator of that vintage is not likely to have clean power. Lots of harmonics. That Lincoln is an invertor if I remember correctly so I would not use it if was mine. But that is me. I am protective of my equipment.

I have a Generac 10K generator from 1999 timeframe. I know what the power is on it and there is no way I would use it with an invertor welder. An old buzz box, yes, but not new invertor.

/ Will my generator run my welder? #7  
Sixdogs,
Let us know what happens. My Everlast is due to arrive today and I don't want to burn it up.
Stuck

A generator of that vintage is not likely to have clean power. Lots of harmonics. That Lincoln is an invertor if I remember correctly so I would not use it if was mine. But that is me. I am protective of my equipment.

I have a Generac 10K generator from 1999 timeframe. I know what the power is on it and there is no way I would use it with an invertor welder. An old buzz box, yes, but not new invertor.

That's the generator I have. Generac 10K and bought it in December 1999. I'm not going to use it.

/ Will my generator run my welder? #9  
I'm curious as to whether a generator with out clean power will damage an invertor or if the invertor will simply not weld. There's bound to be a thread somewhere about rhis.

Sixdogs,
Let us know what happens. My Everlast is due to arrive today and I don't want to burn it up.
Stuck

I'm not going to chance it and you probably shouldn't either. It does appear that unclean power will damage an invertor welder. I saw a cheap AC/DC Lincoln buzz box at an auction and knew I should have bought it.