No Clue how to Weld

/ No Clue how to Weld #1  

Al Mac

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2920
First let me say like the subject line states I have no clue how to weld. I also don't know the lingo. I have tried in the past (only when needed ,bad idea) and it either looked blobs of crap or it didn't stick, sometimes both.
I do have a welder and gas. The welder is a Lincoln Mig Pak 15. It is about 8 years old with just a couple hours on it. The gas is Blueshield 8 ,Ar/CO2. I also have a old school mask (no electronic) .
This started with a sidestep build on my B2920. I did the fab work and had a welding shop do the welding. When ovrszd challenged me to do my own and others said they should have started to weld 10 years earlier. It made me think why not try.
So I need instructions, good videos, real lingo and some luck.

Anyone up for a challenge.

Al

/ No Clue how to Weld
Thank you.
I will watch them this evening after work.

Al

/ No Clue how to Weld #5  
I just started the fall before last (and am not skilled by any means), and Jodi's videos were/are inspirational to see. They look pretty close to perfect no matter what he's welding on or with. The self-shielded flux core was definitely the easiest way to get a feel for my MIG's heat and speed settings and begin training muscle memory for keeping a puddle... I still am getting the hand of shielding gas flow and keeping a gun angle that shields the work. It is very liberating to be able to break a weld or brace and haul it to the shop instead of start making calls. Good luck!

/ No Clue how to Weld #6  
I'll 2nd Tips and Tricks .com been welding for 55 years and I learn from him. Good for you stepping up and trying s new skill. Spend the money and get a cheep auto darkening helmet. It is one less thing to have to "fight" with, they make it so easy. I got mine from northern tool and wondered why I waited so long. Ed

/ No Clue how to Weld #7  
I bought this Antra mask recently, and so far I'm happy with it, not that I know much as a total newbie. The tension holding it in the up position isn't ideal, and it will start to lower if you move around a bunch, but for the money I think it offers a lot of features, and it has really good reviews. The reviews did mention the issue of it drooping, so I wasn't surprised by that, but it's not a big deal to me. I think someone actually offers aftermarket headbands as well.

Antra AH7-86- Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet AntFi X6-8 Jumbo Viewing Size 3.78"X3.5" Variable Shade 4/5-9/9-13 with Grinding Feature Extra lens cover Good for Arc Tig Mig Plasma CSA / ANSI Certified By Colts Lab - - Amazon.com

/ No Clue how to Weld #8  
Get yourself a stick welder (mine is a Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder, 220 VAC, $500 at Tractor Supply). 220 VAC is preferred over a 120 VAC unit.

Get 5 pound boxes of 6011, 7014, 7018 and 7024 welding rod 1/8" size

Get an autodarkening welding helmet (mine is a $60 unit from Northern Tool).

Get welding gloves and a welding jacket

Your first project--build a welding table. You'll find numerous YouTube videos that show you how to do this. Start with the easy rods (7014 and 7024) and then try the more difficult rods (6011, 7018).

Good luck

/ No Clue how to Weld #9  
I welded for a living for 40+ years.The very best way to learn is from a experienced welder.Check local trades schools they may have adult education classes.

/ No Clue how to Weld #10  
I welded for a living for 40+ years.The very best way to learn is from a experienced welder.Check local trades schools they may have adult education classes.

The trade school option doesn't really seem like a reasonable option around here. If you are looking for a trade certification yes, but for someone who just wants to learn to putter around and do projects or fix-its for fun, not so much. They want close to $1000 for 12 sessions of three hours each. To me that money would be better spent on actually buying the equipment and then practicing with it after watching some online videos.

I agree with the benefits of learning from an experienced welder, but the trade school option seems like an expensive way to do it.