Can I just use Argon for both applications

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, so 2 christmas's ago my wife got me a Aluminum spool gun for my Lincoln 180C. This christmas I got a Tig setup for my Everlast 200. I know I can't do AL with the Tig, but I can with the spool. Thinking of killing two birds and picking up a tank of argon but wanted to confirm with everyone that this would be OK. Make sure I am not missing something a more expereinced person would catch.

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #2  
You use 100% argon to weld aluminum with your spool gun. And 100% argon to Tig weld stainless steel, or steel.
Now for Tig welding aluminum you can go with 100% helium, or a helium argon mix.

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #4  
Argon isn't bad... Helium has gotten pricey though.

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #5  
You use 100% argon to weld aluminum with your spool gun. And 100% argon to Tig weld stainless steel, or steel.
Now for Tig welding aluminum you can go with 100% helium, or a helium argon mix.

S/A, would he have to change polarity if using Helium to tig weld aluminum?

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #6  
Argon is fine, perhaps not optimal for production vs cost, but if your income is not depending on the gas you use, argon will fill both needs out of one bottle.

Demurrage is $140 per year here.

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #7  
Isn't argon the most expensive shield gas? I remember years ago welders using various mixtures of argon or helium and CO2.

Ron
Ron just the other day I got a 250 bottle of argon at Pacific. $74.00.

S/A, would he have to change polarity if using Helium to tig weld aluminum?
I use 100% helium on DCEN. Only time I use helium is when my 300-amp Tig welder doesn't have enough power. Not really sure, but I think a lot of guys use a helium / argon mix, and still use AC.

/ Can I just use Argon for both applications #8  
Aluminum can be TIG or MIG welded with 100% argon.