Now they whistle

/ Now they whistle #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
This PowerArc 160 is the first DC welder I've used since the 70's and I've noticed that my Lincoln Fleetweld 3/32 E6011 rods whistle when welding too cold. I'm just curious as to whether this is common with DC?

/ Now they whistle #2  
Stuck, I dunno. I have never heard a whistle while using Lincoln 6011 rods with mine.:confused3:

Last edited:
   / Now they whistle #4  
Maybe you got the PowerArc model with all the bells and whistles?

/ Now they whistle #5  
Does the PA 160 have a 6010 ground slot? If so, try that.

My PA 200 and PA 300 don't whistle when using that slot. But they don't whistle in the other slot either.

/ Now they whistle
Koua, There you go being helpful and racking up messages. It's still appreciated.
Woodlandfarms, That's a really good question. It sounds like the rod, I'll double check.
Bigbarn, I wish I'd said that.
Gwdixon, It has a 6010 slot and it's plugged in that one.
Thanks to everyone. I'll listen at the box and get back to you.

BTW, It did a good of welding a nut to a wrung off bolt yesterday and I got the rascal out.
Stuck

/ Now they whistle #7  
It's probably the high frequency inverter circuitry in the welder. There's probably high frequency ripple in the dc output. Don't have any experience with that welder, so just guessing.

I built a welder from a car alternator and the arc has a high frequency whine. Works great though.

/ Now they whistle #8  
So i have a 200 and when I first got it there was a high pitched electronic whistle that drove me crazy.. It would last 2 or 3 minutes then stop. Eventually it just went away or my eardrums are blown at that frequency.

I wish I had know about turning the machine on and letting it just sit for a couple of hours. that probably would have stopped the noise issue.

/ Now they whistle #9  
It is probably the cycling frequency of the inverter, and the resulting sound of the arc since DC in any kind of arc generated with the use of diodes is not true straight line DC.
Occasionally we see a harmless hum or whistle from the box as the unit heats up. This is due to the metal bands around the transformer heating up and cooling down as the power flows through it. The frequency sets up a minute vibration in the bands. Overtime this can clear up.

Likely though it is the sound of the arc as the whine comes from the arc.

/ Now they whistle #10  
Is there such a thing as an "arc stabilizer" applied to these inverter based machines?

There used to be a series of informative articles printed, called "The Stabilizer", back in the day....