How hard is TIG to learn

/ How hard is TIG to learn #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
title says, just wondering. I want to upgrade my welder in the future, and am torn between a bigger MIG or a stick/TIG unit. No production work, just around the property, and my occasional projects, but I want to be able to do some heavy metal welding, like 3/8-1/2 stuff with the power to do it. Having said all that there isn't much of a budget for it, so that is a BIG limiting factor for me.

I have a small MIG for smaller work, but I like what I see, when I watch videos of folks doing TIG work, and I like the control it seems to have. But are we talking BIG $$$ for that type of control, and a steep learning curve?

I am an OK, sort of, MIG welder, just for reference.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #2  
I would step up to a 220v stick welder. Lot less going on than with a tig. You can pick one up for a lot less $$$ and it will handle the big stuff. With TIG you wil need the welder and then a tank and the consumables, with stick a hand full of rods and the welder and you are good to go. With TIG you can have just a torch, thumb slide or foot peddle, and a rod. Lot more going on. If you are just a OK sort of MIG welder, the easiest weld process I would go to stick. Ed

/ How hard is TIG to learn #3  
But are we talking BIG $$$ for that type of control, and a steep learning curve?
Depends, do you want to be able to do aluminum Tig welding? If so, you will need an AC Tig welder with a foot pedal, and high frequency.
If aluminum isn't in your future you can buy a scratch start Tig rig, and any DC welder will get you going to weld steel, and stainless steel.

Far as learning curve, if you have a somewhat steady hand you can pick up Tig welding pretty easy. Learning to feed the filler rod through your fingers is the hard part.
I have this Tig rig. It is very nice.
WP 26V 25R 25' 2Amp Air Cooled w Gas Valve TIG Welding Torch Ready to Go Kit | eBay

A lot of people have this flow meter.
HTP Argon CO2 MIG TIG Flow Meter Regulator Welding Weld | eBay

/ How hard is TIG to learn #4  
Tig welding is fun to learn. But one thing is that the metal has to be very clean for it to work properly.

So things around the farm probably won't be the best fit for tig. A 240v mig would be mostly versatile especially if you use fcaw (Flux core).

/ How hard is TIG to learn #5  
If I can do it you can do it. I use scratch start TIG for all those little things that are too small or too thing to stick weld very well. Also things like copper and brass can be Tigged. Is there a learning curve? Sure, but there is a learning curve with everything, and that is part of the fun. I can't do aluminum, but I very rarely ever need to do aluminum. And my simple cheap setup sure works for everything else. I just added a cheap 17V TIG torch to my existing PA160 DC stick welder, bought a $25 regulator and bought a bottle of argon and started to learn to TIG.

Here are some copper crush washers I TIG up from No. 10 house wire.

DSCF0520.JPG
DSCF0524.JPG
DSCF0525.JPG

/ How hard is TIG to learn
I already do flux core with my 110v MIG and it serves me well, and I do have the equipment for MIG as well. I don't use it often because as you guys know the flux core does better on thicker stuff and dirtier stuff.

I need to move up to something a bit heavier for SOME of my projects (trailers etc). I thought the TIG might be handy. For example I am thinking of welding up a custom air tank for my truck. The compressor came with a 1.5 gal and a 3 would be more adequate, but most are not shaped that would fit, or very pricey, it seems. I figured the TIG might weld on the bungs easier, maybe less chance of air pockets in the weld. Not NEEDED but I thought, maybe.

SO I guess I'll stick (pun intended) with the Power Arc 200 I was looking at, and maybe down the road add a TIG torch and play around with it. I SHOULD fill up my co2/argon tank and MIG the air tank. Prob cheaper :)

/ How hard is TIG to learn
k0ua
THAT is impressive, it's hard to tell where the joint is. Good idea to make your own up though. How many amps to do those? I'd probably have little globs of copper there instead of rings.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #9  
k0ua
THAT is impressive, it's hard to tell where the joint is. Good idea to make your own up though. How many amps to do those? I'd probably have little globs of copper there instead of rings.

If I remember correctly it was about 25 amps. It is difficult on copper as it conducts well, and you make "globs" real quick.:)

Here is a little hook I foolishly broke off and wanted to repair with TIG.

Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 015.jpg

/ How hard is TIG to learn #10  
Tig welding copper takes some real horse power. Copper is a worse heat sink than aluminum.

Attachments

• C corner brush.JPG
    C corner brush.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 393
  • C fillet.JPG
    C fillet.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 940
  • C pipe.JPG
    C pipe.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 520