Miller Dialarc

/ Miller Dialarc #71  
("As for being graded on the quiz... The penalty for failing the quiz is burning your house down & insurance not covering things because of unpermitted modifications to the structure that weren't to code. If you don't understand all of this really well, hire an electrician.")

I dont have to understand everything about electrical work, this is just a basic basic welder hookup without a the owner's manual. I dont see an electrician coming here to hook this welder up for under $500.00. I'm not completely stupid. I did wire my house 40 years ago, 4 two-way switches, wired my first garage 20 years ago, wired a new 250 amp welder with manual came with it.

Most fires I hear of is caused by wood stoves, if it's electrical, it's because of remodeling and I bet that's because mice have chewed away the wire insulation and when wire is moved, a short is created and the breaker is too big or faulty to trip, another reason is this cheaper aluminum wire vs. copper, we rely on the grease to prevent corrosion, but I think every few years that stuff should be re-applied and set screws re-tighten

All that needed in basic electrical wiring is know the volts of the welding machine, I know that, know the total amps of what this welding machine takes, I dont know that yet but getting close, shut power off when working on it, keep ground ground and keep breaker smaller then wire amps, this is not 3 phase, it's just a basic welder hookup. I just thought it would be more interesting chatting about it then trying track down the Miller owner's manual and I will do that later on, seems like everytime a rabbit trail comes up, Hire an electrician.......................

/ Miller Dialarc #72  
("As for being graded on the quiz... The penalty for failing the quiz is burning your house down & insurance not covering things because of unpermitted modifications to the structure that weren't to code. If you don't understand all of this really well, hire an electrician.")

I dont have to understand everything about electrical work, this is just a basic basic welder hookup without a the owner's manual. I dont see an electrician coming here to hook this welder up for under $500.00. I'm not completely stupid. I did wire my house 40 years ago, 4 two-way switches, wired my first garage 20 years ago, wired a new 250 amp welder with manual came with it.

Most fires I hear of is caused by wood stoves, if it's electrical, it's because of remodeling and I bet that's because mice have chewed away the wire insulation and when wire is moved, a short is created and the breaker is too big or faulty to trip, another reason is this cheaper aluminum wire vs. copper, we rely on the grease to prevent corrosion, but I think every few years that stuff should be re-applied and set screws re-tighten

All that needed in basic electrical wiring is know the volts of the welding machine, I know that, know the total amps of what this welding machine takes, I dont know that yet but getting close, shut power off when working on it, keep ground ground and keep breaker smaller then wire amps, this is not 3 phase, it's just a basic welder hookup. I just thought it would be more interesting chatting about it then trying track down the Miller owner's manual and I will do that later on, seems like everytime a rabbit trail comes up, Hire an electrician.......................

People are advising you get an electrician because it appears you don't have a full understanding of how a welder works and what is required to hook one up. Having a licensed electrician hook it up is cheap insurance. Tons of fires are caused by faulty wiring, not mice chewing on wires and wood stoves. Tons of insurance claims are rejected as well because of faulty wiring done by someone who was trying to save a few bucks. If it's just a basic welder set up, why is this thread 8 pages??? If there was ever an indication that an electrician should be brought in, this is it. I bet you could find an electrician who could hook it up for about $100 after hours. Miller manuals are about the easiest to get of any welder on the planet. If you can't find a manual, you shouldn't be doing the wiring.

/ Miller Dialarc #73  
Hey I like that color picture, glad you said it was for 230 volts cause mine isn't like that, thanks a bunch :thumbsup:
Now that I have the side panel off, good time to do some cleaning, a little dusty inside.

At least no mouse house, this is what was in my BILs Idealarc when I serviced it:D

welder mouse house (2).jpg