Learning how - WELDING

/ Learning how - WELDING #1  

Anonymous Poster

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the adequacy of local-college classes in welding, as the ONLY preparation for a reasonable ability to fabricate/repair relatively simple projects!?

I am not-too-dumb, and somewhat dextrous, but have zero welding experience /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif. I've looked at some welding websites, and find a confusing array of choices,... mig, gasless, 220, 110,rechargable-battery, auto wire-feed, etc., etc.

I'm wondering whether or not attending some basic classes will give me enough knowledge/skill to make some intelligent choices, and to do a decent job with whatever equipment I might buy (?).

All I know so-far: My interest would include some welding of aluminum, as well as the usual angle-iron, etc. ( and some method requiring a minimum of "chipping" of the weld sounds appealing /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif .)

Two specific questions:
1. When specs. are given (for example: " welds 16 gauge to 3/8" steel"), does the largest figure(3/8) mean that ONLY metal no-thicker-than-this can be joined, ...or can a piece 3/8 thick be welded TO a thicker piece (say 1")?
2. Ball-park "guesstimate" as to the "complete set-up" cost of any (recommended?) unit?

Thanks for any/all advice /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif ,

Larry

/ Learning how - WELDING #2  
hey LHSmith,
a course or two doesnt sound to bad. you will learn things that you wouldnt learn just by do it yerself. if time and money arent an issue, go for it. as far as all the different types of welders, probably the best for you would be a mig unit. mig welding is very easy and wont take long to become good at. the flux cored wire eliminates the need for a bottle of gas which makes outside work nice. then you dont have to worry about burnin down the garage. the flux cored leaves a thin layer of slag that will scrap off when all yer operating parameters are correct.the biggest thing to think of is, the weld is the bubble gum that holds your projects together. if you dont design them properly even the best welds wont make a difference. but you still have to know how to put down a good weld. when you say about welding 3/8 thk material to 1" thk, what are you planning to make? if your welder has those capacitys you mentioned i wouldnt worry about welding with it. i just wouldnt weld something that my life depended on with a small welder. until you learn the basics about welding steel i wouldnt even think about the aluminum yet. that is a different animal. without some high dollar addition equipment it is probably worth paying a welding shop to do the alum. my first mig welder is a lincoln sp125 110 v machine and i use flux cored wire. the whole setup cost about 600 bucks. with the 110v you arent limited to where you can use it, but it is really only good for 1/4 and smaller even though i have done thicker with addtional passes and had no problems. stay away from a stick machine cause once you think you are good with it on the flat stuff, you will find the verticle and overhead welding will make you mad. good luck and ask me whatever you want. ive been welding for 17 yrs but not on a dialy basis even though i have done it days at a time and can mig, tig, stick, steel, alum and stainless. i just dont brag and call my self a true welder.
rich

/ Learning how - WELDING #3  
lh, if you do take a course keep posting. I, like you, know little about welding and REALLY don't want to add metal working to my "tool" collection (running out of space to keep it all!) but the more I read the more I see my reluctance evaporating. It would just be too useful to be able to weld things up myself but like you I'd like to get a single unit that would do what I need and it seems like there are a dizzying array of things out there. (I did buy a basic welding book qhich was pretty informative). Will be following your post if/when you take the welding plunge!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Learning how - WELDING #4  
LHSmith: I took a welding class last year at a junior college that met on Saturdays for 10 weeks for 4 hours. Good course and the instructor let us concentrate on the welding most suited for our needs. Some did stick, some mig, some Tig, and some did cutting torch. I liked the stick and the torch. I may go back for the second class and do the mig. I don't have a welder, but when I get one I'm sure I'll be an adequate welder. The course cost a total of about $100 and I'm sure I used up more sticks and gas than that.

DaveH

/ Learning how - WELDING #5  
LH, I'm not sure what you would describe as adequate. The only formal training in welding that I've had are 2 college night courses. They do a great job of explaining the basics and familiarizing you with the equipment, terminology, and techniques. After that, the best thing you can do is to buy the equipment and practice, practice, practice. I'm pretty slow at what I do, but most things I stick together don't come apart.

/ Learning how - WELDING #6  
I took a welding/cutting/Blue-print reading class at a local university that I think was well worth the money. I had dabber welded before that but did not know(as I found out) the first thing about the safety aspects of gas bottles, AC welding machines ect. The instructor was a retired welder that really knew his stuff and enjoyed teaching so that helped a lot. I always think that course saved me money and body parts in the long run. We had a 21 year old young man killed where I work at rolling up the welding leads on a AC machine. It was still on and he was wrapping the leads around his neck and shoulder (like a bag shoulder strap) a raw spot touched his sweaty neck and He was killed instantly.

18-38546-254av.jpg

/ Learning how - WELDING #7  
LHSmith -

I've been thinking along the same lines. The local junior college offers the occasional welding class -- now all I need is the time.

And a welder. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Learning how - WELDING #8  
When I was 16 we had a week of welding in high school metal shop. Last year (29 years later) I was given a 295Amp AC stick welder. I was surprised how much I remembered. Checked out some books at the public library to get the info on rod sizing, types of rod, Amp settings, how to weld cast and other 'problem metals'. I learned much. But I too want to get a course where you learn from someone who knows the right way. I have since came across a Oxy/Acc setup and am learning.

At first, I could make two chunks of metal stick together - but it looked like s---. After lots of practice, It's looking pretty gook now. Made a three point hitch (sort of) for my Case DC. Did lots of grading with a 5' box blade and the welds never broke. Next project is a carryall.

Anybody have any helpful hints?

/ Learning how - WELDING #9  
We have a neighbor thart makes his living welding. He makes nost of his money doing "objects de' art". His work is fantastic. My wife has nicknamed him "Weld Bill" (FWIW, darn near everybody in the neighborhood is named "Bill"), so the nicknames are "Weld Bill", "Road Bill", "Dr. Bill", "Cool Bill", etc, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif).

But I digress. I've talked to him about learning to weld, and hoped that he would offer to teach. However, he said I would get more from a course at the one of the local JC's. That's where he learned so many years ago.

The GlueGuy

/ Learning how - WELDING #10  
You may want to check out some vo-tech schools for classes.
Our vo-tech school offer many levels plus certifications once one completes the class.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif