Cutting torch pressure

/ Cutting torch pressure #1  

Chain Bender

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
How much "pressure" on the oxygen side is normally needed to blow the slag from a cut? I've used two new tips on my small cutting torch and I'm up to almost 40 psi and can't get much flow when I press the lever? I'm just cutting 1/4" and thinner stuff and really have to get close to the puddle and work it ever so slow. Do I need a bigger set up or more PSI?

tks in advance,
CB

/ Cutting torch pressure #2  
I run 40-PSI oxygen when cutting.

Attachments

• P1.JPG
    P1.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 199
   / Cutting torch pressure #3  
Invest in a tip cleaner and use it often. Especially if you're using acetylene.

/ Cutting torch pressure
Tips are clean. Might be a problem with my cheap mixer though. Toe to u and Shield Arc.

/ Cutting torch pressure #5  
I find all torches have a different sweet spot. I adjust the torch to a neutral flame. First picture. Then I slowing push the oxygen lever until the cutting cone goes out far as possible from the tip, and sounds like a jet engine. That is the sweet spot, second picture.

Attachments

• neutral flame.jpg
    neutral flame.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 335
  • Cutting cone.jpg
    Cutting cone.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 232
   / Cutting torch pressure #6  
How much "pressure" on the oxygen side is normally needed to blow the slag from a cut? I've used two new tips on my small cutting torch and I'm up to almost 40 psi and can't get much flow when I press the lever? I'm just cutting 1/4" and thinner stuff and really have to get close to the puddle and work it ever so slow. Do I need a bigger set up or more PSI?

tks in advance,
CB

Sounds almost like my cheap Victor stile torch I had last year, wasn't hardly cutting, brought it to a welding supply store, the guy took it apart, ended up being something wrong with the mixer chamber apparatus thing-ah ma-gigy.
I replaced it with a more expensive Uniweld torch, it has a 3 tube torch head, one tube for mixing which makes a low humming noise. The part I dont care for is the trigger is on the bottom rear, hard to get use to.

/ Cutting torch pressure #7  
You might be using too large of a cutting tip. I had a cheap Sears MAP torch setup with a cutting tip I used for years with acetylene. I liked it because it was small and easy to handle. It would cut 3/4" plate by starting on the edge and rolling it into the thickness. I miss that torch. It would cut 1/4" flats like a hot butter knife. The mix chamber finally burned out of it. The point is; you don't need a large tip for most cutting jobs. I'd have to go out and look but I think I'm running a 0 tip on the 3-tube torch now. I remember looking for 00 but they were out of stock at the time. Thanks for the reminder. :)

/ Cutting torch pressure #8  
30-35 psi will cut 1/4" no problem but lets start with the basics. Is the oxygen valve on the handle all the way open? If it isn't you won't get full pressure from the cutting jet. The oxygen for the preheat is controlled with the valve on the cutting attachment but the handle valve is open all the way so you get maximum flow for the cutting jet. Is your preheat flame big enough and what size of tip are you using? What's your acetylene pressure? Other than 40 psi oxy and 1/4" you don't give much info. The more details you give, the better answers you'll get.