Friction Welding

/ Friction Welding #2  
Iv done it on a lathe between aluminum and stainless steel 5/8" rod. Strong enuf to beat on a concrete floor. Finally broke it using a hammer. Some aluminum stayed on the SS.

/ Friction Welding #3  
Friction stir welding was introduced in the mid 1990s in the aerospace industry and is now the go-to welding method for aluminum alloy propellant tanks for modern launch vehicles like the SpaceX Falcon 9. It's used also on the tanks for NASA's Space Launch System (SLS, aka the Senate Launch System). Makes a lot better welds in aluminum alloy than heliarc, which was the method used since the start of the space program.

/ Friction Welding #5  
ESAB used to sell Stir Welding systems Way Back when they actually built something. I watched it in action at Fab-Tech several years in a row. I still have a few of the aluminum coupons that were stir welded together. Cool process but cost prohibitive in anything but aerospace or bazillion dollar projects. There are a bunch of vids out there on this.

/ Friction Welding #7  
I have watched alot of those videos before.

One thing that disappoints me, is I assume all of them videos are just for demonstrations. I would like to see some real parts and real world usages.

The friction welding titanium in the first video.....looks like two flat plates. Why not just get a thicker plate?

Same thing for the last video of the two shafts. Why not just get a longer shaft to start with instead of using real expensive machine to make two short pieces into one long one??

/ Friction Welding #8  
I'm not certain, but the second video looked to me like the final product was a wheel. Anyone know for sure?

/ Friction Welding #9  
This is used extensively for aircraft engine parts, like gears and driveshafts. Not all of their customers appreciate videos of their parts being "out in the wild", so a generic demo is used instead for videos. Let us instead say that these processes are being used every day for real parts, and have been at least since the 80's when I saw it.

As far as the two flat plates one, that can actually be a very good finished part, just like that, if the two halves are dissimilar metals. It allows you to weld using regular processes appropriate for each metal onto two structures that are dissimilar, like a steel hull and an aluminum cabin on a boat, at regularly spaced locations. It functions sort of as a mounting bracket without having to somehow get both large parts moving and pressed together.

/ Friction Welding #10  
I can only see it being useful in bonding dissimilar metals together or heavy solid objects where welding is impractical or impossible like in the welding together of solid shafts where electric welding would create warpage and friction welding doesn't plus it is so fast.

Bonding aluminum to steel is a good example of impossible to weld using standard welding techniques. I would think there are lots of uses where you might want one material on one side and a different one on the other side.