Sandblaster

/ Sandblaster #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
Anyone have a good portable sand blaster they would recommend?

/ Sandblaster #2  
Re: Ssndblaster

How portable do you want? On a trailer, pulled behind a truck or pick it up with one hand and store it under the work bench?

/ Sandblaster #4  
Have the same one /pine linked and happy with it as well.

Probably be even more happy now that I have a larger compressor.

/ Sandblaster

hand carry or wheel around.

What is the difference between the Sears unit in the picture and one of the pressurized tank units?

/ Sandblaster #6  

hand carry or wheel around.

What is the difference between the Sears unit in the picture and one of the pressurized tank units?

Not sure about the "pressurized tanks" but many units come with cleaning bays...without some shrouding the media goes everywhere...!...they also allow you to screen and re-use the media...

Another option if you own a pressure washer is an attachment (tip w/siphon & hose) that uses the water pressure rather than air to do the blasting...there are other threads on the topic here (TBN) somewhere...

/ Sandblaster #7  

Consider soda blasting? Sodablasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I am looking into it for equipment, as I don't want the sand getting into everything. Have media blast cabinet and have been sending bigger stuff out for blasting. No luck on siphon tube and the pressure washer sand gets wet, never gets sucked up. I have one I will send you for free.

/ Sandblaster #8  

If you are looking for a general use blaster for small projects, then any of those small ones will work. If you have a lot to blast and want to get it done, then you want a larger pressurized pot.

If that's more than you really need, then I would look into just renting one. We blast with a 350# pot and a 250 cfm compressor.

/ Sandblaster #9  

I had a blasting job, I called around and of course they had to see the job before estimating, but I got one offer for $50/hour with 2 hour minimum, and another for $175 minimum. So I went to Harbor freight, got a $35 unit (onsale $25), Homedepot for $4 bags of sand, and was done in about double the time it would take to drop off the item at the sandblast shop. Not even considering the time to go back again for pick up.

I bought the blaster which the replaceable nozzle inserts cost $10/pair. Oooops - nozzles are a wear item, they wear pretty fast. Towards the end of my job things were slowing down because the nozzle had worn too big. Choose a blaster that the gun uses THESE nozzles ($1.39 each).

Anyway it worked out OK for me, I could throw my blaster in the trash and still come out ahead (but not likely to do that).

/ Sandblaster #10  

You should know that for sandblasting you need powerful compressor.