How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #1  
Tractor
Murray
Hello,

I found a Miller XMT 350 cc/cv for sale at a very good price, $600. It is just the power supply, no leads.

I would like suggestions on how to check this out before I buy it. six hundred seems like a screaming deal.

I have leads from an older Dialarc.

Also, some of the cc/cvs had a feature that not all of them had. I almost think it was pulse but don't remember.

I would appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Steve

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #2  
I've never run a XMT-350. Years ago I went to an auction. Owner of a Fab shop was retiring. I got to talking to the owner. He had several XMT-350s, and XMT-304s. I was interested in bidding on one of the XMT-350s. The owner told me he never had a problem with the 350s. The 304s had given him some problems.
The cheapest XMT-350 went for $1,500.00
I suggest you take your welding hood, gloves, rod, and some scrap metal and try it out. If you happen to have a VS wire feeder you could take, then you could test the CV side of the welder too.

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #3  
These welders are electronic with circuit boards and such. They either work or they don't. They can fail at any time and are not cheap to repair. If it works I would go for it at that price. They are pretty reliable but they do fail on occasion and are not cheap to fix. My BIL is a certified Miller repair tech and he tells me the same thing if one fails it is almost better to just buy a working used one than to try and fix it.

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv
Thank you both. I pick it up Saturday and can test it then. They will return my money if it doesn't work.

Thanks again,
Steve

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #5  
I guess you can't consider a Harley US made either as they used Mikuni carbs and other foreign parts. XMT 350's are a very good machine but $600 almost seems too good to be true. Who are you buying it from? Where are the cables and wire feeder, etc.? I wouldn't trust anyone who says they'll give you your money back after you've left with the machine. Almost no one... when I bought my SA200 it wouldn't start so the guy held my money and said I didn't have to take the machine if it was going to be too expensive to get it going. It needed a new carb but also the seal on the mag was leaking oil into the mag so the mag had to be rebuilt. I paid $600 for the machine and it was $800 for the new carb and rebuilt mag. I went back and told the guy it cost $800 to get going and he said how about if I give you back $100 and we call it good. Sold! $1300 for an excellent running 1961 Red Face with the alternator and spin on oil filter already done. Also a new starter because they burnt it out trying to start the welder. Got some used cable from Red-D-Arc for $200 and I was good to go.

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #6  
Steve -

I don't know if you have worked out something, but that's about 1/3 of the going rate. Do you know how many hours and what age the unit is? Those are excellent welders, but if they break they are expensive to fix. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it's not ancient and it works.

So take some leads and test out the stick welding part, that's easy. Without an external wire feed it will be tough to test the constant voltage side, but chances are fairly good that if one works the other does.

I would not buy it if you can not plug it in and see it come on and make what appears to be a normal display. That is, unless you know the person really well, or if the person will let you take it somewhere that you can test it out and pay him afterwords. As you cycle the mode switch, different things should display on the little LCD display.

That is a DC supply, so no TIG welding of aluminum but otherwise it's a full featured power supply, with a lot of built in features. You can download a PDF of the manual at Miller's site, which will let you see in advance how it functions so you can test it.

Good luck!

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv
Sorry for the delayed response.

I don't know how old or how many hours. I was going to get the serial number for a dealer but had to spend some time in the hospital with a family member.

I have not found anyone with a feeder, or suitcase, I can borrow. I have one guy I can call this week. He will probably have everything I need.

I am picking it up from a business. They will put the money back in writing.

I will be reading the pdf manual in the next day or two to make sure I know how it's supposed to work.

I am not that experienced of a welder. This just seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Steve

Last edited:
   / How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #8  
I was trying to buy a XMT-350. I never heard a bad word about them. Ended up getting a good deal on a used Lincoln V350-Pro. Fell in love with it. Bought a new V350-Pro with pulse. Sold the used V350-Pro for a $100.00 more than I paid for it.

Attachments

• 350 Set.JPG
    350 Set.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 473
   / How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #9  
I was trying to buy a XMT-350. I never heard a bad word about them. Ended up getting a good deal on a used Lincoln V350-Pro. Fell in love with it. Bought a new V350-Pro with pulse. Sold the used V350-Pro for a $100.00 more than I paid for it.

Ha! Same thing here. I started with a cheapo Lincoln tombstone, sold that for more than I paid for it and kept a bunch of the rods I got with it. Bought a Thermal Arc multi-process unit. Didn't like it that much and only used it for stick (wanted a wire feeder but didn't find one), so I sold that once I got an auction deal on a XMT304 with wire feeder. And sold the TA unit for more than I paid. Didn't make big money but an extra hundred here and there is good...

/ How to check out used Miller XMT 350 cc/cv #10  
Steve. Did it check out ok? If so, consider yourself fortunate that you got such a GREAT deal. I had two XMT 350's ( just sold one). You'll need the money you 'saved' for all the accessories to maximize the machine's potential.

I can forward you a "list" when you're ready. :=)

Terry