Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
My sister got me one of those common off-shore park type benches at a yard sale. The sides being of some cast material, and wooden slats joining them.

The mounting point or tab, for the front slat has half broken off.

Anybody know of a fix? The recipe for the casting material is probably something like, two medium size bycycles, two small alternators, one car battery lead core and a large bucket of miscellanious scrap.

I was thinking of just welding or brazing on a washer to retain the mounting bolt. It does not have to take weight.

Thanks

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #2  
Braze should work fine

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #3  
Braze it. Nothing else would work better.

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench
Brazing absolutely did not work. And believe me, I tried. Against what others told me, I migged it, and it WORKED!

Then I saw I broke a slat leaning on it. What junk!

Thanks

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #5  
Might try some nickle rod.

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #6  
I'm not a real welder though I have done a lot over the years and have repaired a few of those benches using just a stick welder with rod for cast iron. Buying a box is very expensive but some places you can buy just a couple rods for maybe $5 each. I works so well you have a hard time finding the repair.No bench pics. but hears one of a cast iron table saw handle I broke and welded back up with the cast rod.
T.saw handle 001.jpg

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #7  
I repaired and repainted this cast iron furniture last week.

I found a poor, carbonized prior repair on one of the bench legs, that broke when I stood the bench on end. I moved a good leg from the little table to that bench, then on the broken leg ground the area clean and welded the leg-attachment tab back onto the leg using nickel rod. This was done over a turkey-fryer gas burner heating the area to be repaired. I reassembled the leg to the tabletop with a piece of rubber inner tube patch as a separator to spread stress away from any uneven points. Good for another 40 years!

KIMG1753rPaintIronFurniture.jpg

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #8  
They have alloy rods for welding pot metal like that, I would heat it with the torch to around 500 and stick it with a mix rod.

/ Making minor repair to a cast (something) park type bench #9  
Try JB weld!