Got a little upgrade today.

/ Got a little upgrade today. #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
I build wild hog traps so my welder is critical to my income. I've got a Lincoln 180C that I've been using for about 3 years. It worked great for a couple of years but in the last year something has happened and it's been overheating on me before it should due to duty cycle. Sometimes from a cold start, I could only weld with it for 10 minutes before it would shut off, even with the cover removed and a large fan blowing directly on it. Since I need to take it in and I can't really afford to be without a machine, I decided it was time to upgrade. I've got a 175 as well that I've used as a backup but, I don't really like using it and have it setup to run fluxcore wire off a generator for repairs and stuff around the property. Seemed like a good enough excuse to buy another machine so this showed up on the truck today.

20160809_180113.jpg

I've set it up and tested it and my initial impression is very positive. I'm looking forward to having a machine that will be a 100% duty cycle at the voltage I'll be running it at and it's going to be nice to have the capacity to weld 1/2" in a single pass if I need it.

/ Got a little upgrade today. #2  
You will love that machine. I bought one in December and have used one 11# spool of .035 and am well into the second spool.

/ Got a little upgrade today.
I loaded a 44# spool into it, during the busiest part of the year, I'll burn through 2 x 12# spools a week. I'll probably finish the 44# spool before the month is out so it'll get a workout, especially with daily highs around 100 to 103. I rhink.I might see about trading my 125cf bottles for something larger, I get about 24# of wire per bottle, with the bigger spools I'll be changing bottles more than wire. It'd be nice to have a bottle that would lastill through a full 44# spool so I don't have to mess with it as much.

I think this machine is going to save a lot of time with reduced consumables changes and not overheating. It'll probably pay for itself.

/ Got a little upgrade today. #4  
Either get 330cf bottles, or get extras of the 125's to have on hand. I blew through oxygen with my propane cutting torch when i was using it heavily, but I am still on my first C25 bottle (also a 125cf) after several years. But I have not killed a full spool of wire yet either. Even my heavy use is not THAT heavy...hobbyist...

Now go hit it! :thumbsup:

I have 2 of the 125cf bottles. I think a couple of 330cf bottles will be the ticket. Mine are owner bottles though, not sure if they'll let me trade up or what the cost will be.

5 hours on the machine today and it didn't miss a beat. It's hit 100 outside so it's break time for me until it cools off some.

I have a 250A Profax gun on my 180C that I got for the 15' cable. The gun on the 256 is definitely lighter but, I'm not sure I like it. The nozzle and tip being flush vs the tip sticking out past the nozzle a little on the Profax makes it a little tough to get into corners a hurts visibility of the weld pool in some situations. I'm going to give a few days but, I might put the Profax gun on thev256.

I will say that this arc is a whole lot cleaner than the 180, I'm amazed at how much less spatter there is, especially with the galvanized material.

If you've got a smaller welder and get an opportunity to try the 256, don't do it unless you're looking for a reason to upgrade. Going to this from the 180 is like going from the AC225 stick welder to a wire feed or going from flux core to gas shielded, it's a big improvement.

/ Got a little upgrade today. #7  
On the nozzle, just grind off about 1/8 inch, smooth up and march on. Or you can get a new nozzle the length you need at the LWS store or maybe ebay. $10-12. Would like to see a "wild hog trap" we are starting to have a problem here in Arkansas.

On the nozzle, just grind off about 1/8 inch, smooth up and march on. Or you can get a new nozzle the length you need at the LWS store or maybe ebay. $10-12. Would like to see a "wild hog trap" we are starting to have a problem here in Arkansas.

Lincoln has a nozzle that's recessed some, I should probably order one of these - Nozzle 35A, Thread-on, 1/8 in (3.2 mm) Recess 1/2 inner diameter.

I can handle the seeing a trap request - Traps for Feral Hogs | Texas Wild Hog Traps. I've shipped some of the corral traps and wireless doors to Arkansas.

/ Got a little upgrade today. #9  
Not sure that is what you want, I think those mean that the tip is recessed. Better call someone.

I'll see what they've got next time I'm at Airgas, I'm sure I can come up with something. If not, I like the Profax gun also, even if it is a little heavier.