Plasma cutter

/ Plasma cutter #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I'm thinking about getting one but I just have a 20 gallon compressor would that be good enough to run it? Or do I need a bigger compressor.

/ Plasma cutter #2  
More important than tank size is compressor CFM and Pressure output. Most plasma cutters will need 4-5 CFM @ 80-90 PSI. This varies by the size of cutter you get. When you find one you like, look at the specs for THAT cutter. It should have the air requirements. Also pay particular attention to the cutter's duty cycle too. Many folks overlook this in favor of a "major brand".

/ Plasma cutter
It tell me at 40psi 5.2 and at 90psi 4.0 not enough to run a cutter

/ Plasma cutter #4  
More important than CFM or tank size is how long of a cut do you plan on making?

Cutting a 3" cut on a 1/4" bar, a little 10 gallon pancake compressor is big enough.

It is kinda like sand blasting,, do you have time to use it,,, then wait,,,
or do you want unlimited capability??

/ Plasma cutter
Nothing more then 1/4 or 3/8" OK thanks

/ Plasma cutter #6  
Unless you plan on running it on a CNC table nonstop for 15-20 minutes at a stretch, chances are a small compressor will be fine. It will take about 35 seconds of cutting to run it from, say 115 psi shutoff pressure to the kick in at around 80. Will take close to another half minute to get down to the 73 psi minimum that plasma cutters need. I can't think of anything I've done that required more than a few seconds cutting at a time. Then you have to re-position clamps, move parts, check a measurement, etc., all the while the compressor is recovering.

/ Plasma cutter
OK Now I might try one northern tool has a small one to 1/4" I think needs 60 psi at 4.0

/ Plasma cutter #8  
OK Now I might try one northern tool has a small one to 1/4" I think needs 60 psi at 4.0

I noticed a Hobart 250Ci on a local Craigslist. After researching it, I see it has a built in compressor.

Not recommending. Just throwing it in for consideration as I'd not heard of that feature and have been watching for a Plasma cutter also.

/ Plasma cutter #9  
I have an Everlast which is working great for me for 2 years now. Might be a spot better than the Northern Tool you are looking at.

/ Plasma cutter
499 compared to almost 700 I'm take a chance.