New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
I'm still working on my "ugly beads" from the thread by that name, and as I noted there, was tired of listening to the engine on my Hobart Champion Elite every time I wanted to weld something, so I picked up an Everlast PowerArc 200ST. I'm probably going to be loaning the 200ST to my father for a while because he's got a TIG project coming up, so I was keeping my eye on Craigslist for a decent AC/DC stick machine to take it's place until I get it back. This showed up on CL late yesterday, and I sent the guy a text...it was still available, so I ran by there today and brought it home with me.

1996 Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC with a set of leads, a new 200 amp electrode holder, a little cart with wheels, and about 35lbs of fresh 1/8" Lincoln Excalibur 7018 all for $200. I think I would have bought it even if I wasn't planning to loan out my 200ST.....seemed like that good of a deal. When I got there I found out the guy was getting out of the welding business and selling all but one of his welders. He had it all set up, with a nice piece of 1" thick steel, so we ran a couple of beads with it, and it seemed to work just fine. I've heard these are pretty bullet proof, so I'm not too worried. Anyway, here's a quick pic since we all love pics!

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #2  

Attachments

• Montgomery Wards.jpg
    Montgomery Wards.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 241
   / New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
I had to give it a try....grabbed some scrap, a 1/8" ESAB Atom Arc 7018, set her on 100amps and let it burn :D

Not too terrible for the first rod on a new machine...

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #4  
Man oh man have you improved!:thumbsup: Or is it the new welder?:D Nothing in the world wrong with that weld!:cool:

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
Man oh man have you improved!:thumbsup: Or is it the new welder?:D Nothing in the world wrong with that weld!:cool:

Thanks! All of you kind folks who have commented and provided advice here have made all the difference in the world! That, and I'm stubborn, so it's a good combination :laughing:

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #6  
Now you are ready for vertical up hill with 7018!;)

Attachments

• 7018 Best 2.jpg
    7018 Best 2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 442
   / New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #7  
Nice find on that welder and your welds look very good. I bought my Solar brand (lincoln) AC/DC welder at a flea market a couple years ago. Sure is a lot quieter than firing up the Miller Bobcat 250.

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #8  
My first welder was an AC only Thunderbolt. Same color as yours but branded Liquid Air. It had the ground tap and a high frequency and a low frequency tap. I think that's how the salesman explained it someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The low frequency tap welded better but stopped at maybe 140 amps. I started out without a cutting torch so to cut, I plugged onto the high frequency tap, wound it up to max amps, heated the metal, and pushed the electrode thtough until I'd hacked my way tjrough a very ugly cut. For me the biggest headache was turning the crank to change settings. It welded good.
Enjoy yours,
Stuck

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #9  
Now you are ready for vertical up hill with 7018!;)
SA
Did you do that with a VU weave? Looks more like a VU stringer. You told me your hand was not that stable anymore. Looks to me like it was plenty stable.

/ New (to me) Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC #10  
That machine looks like new and your welding has really improved. Turn the heat a bit and it will perfect. You got a good deal. Just watch that Shield Arc guy, he'll have you doing 6" pipe in the 6G position and making us all look like hacks. :D