placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
Is there a preferred placement for welding grab hooks on the top of the loader bucket? I have a small Terremite (T5C) and have purchased hooks but don't want to weld them in place if there is a "best location" i.e., closeness to the edge of the bucket and distance front to back of the top surface. I use chain to pick up large logs using chain. Thanks for any ideas.

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #2  
Inline with the loader arms

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #3  
Inline with the bucket cylinders or at the edges of the bucket but you'll likely have to add some additional plate to strengthen the bucket where the hooks are mounted. No sense putting hooks on if they're just going to bend your bucket.

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #4  
I welded mine on (2 of them) just inside the loader arms. They are spaced about 2FT apart.

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #5  
I have 2 inline with the loader arms. I'd like a 3rd in the center for heavy lifts.

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #6  
Inline with the bucket cylinders or at the edges of the bucket but you'll likely have to add some additional plate to strengthen the bucket where the hooks are mounted. No sense putting hooks on if they're just going to bend your bucket.

This^^^
In the "normal" use of a bucket, this top edge is plenty strong, but weld a hook anywhere along the that edge and it will quickly bend it under a load. A simple 2x2x3/8 angle full width will prolly do the trick on that size machine but bigger is always better. If you're not into all that, weld them on or as close to the bucket side plates as possible.

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #7  
I got REALLY tired of chains coming loose, so I switched to using rope,,,
and I learned to tie a bowline knot.
With rope,,, a "D" ring is perfect.

0998eea2-45f4-4f32-aa7a-542feb206313_zpsm13iqty2.jpg

The D ring will work with chain,,, also. You can attach LOTS of chains to one D ring,,,

D7K_6437_zpsoxk5hmjz.jpg

I have yet to find the limit of lifting with rope,,,

5665g_zpsc0092e03.jpg

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #9  
Mine is in the center of the bucket.

/ placement of weld - on grab hooks for loader #10  
Here's the setup on my 2008 Mahindra 5525. The hooks are welded to a 1/4" thick stiffener that runs the width of the bucket.
Also have the skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option on the FEL.

5525-SSQA.JPG

Some people like to put the outboard hooks in line with the FEL arms. I prefer to position them on the ends of the bucket where it's stiffer.

Good luck