Wire suggestions appreciated

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Currently about 2/3 the way through a 25lb spool of NR-232 and my tips are toast. The wire is .068 which apparently isn't a very common size. I have a new .035 liner and I'm thinking of shelving the 232 for a big project and then going to a smaller, more common wire. Dealer has suggested NR-211, but I wanted to double other opinions of this wire before I pull the trigger.

Looking for a all-position, flux-core wire. Low splatter and easy slag removal is important. Generally clean my surfaces before welding, but copper coated doesn't rust on the spool either.

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #2  
Currently about 2/3 the way through a 25lb spool of NR-232 and my tips are toast. The wire is .068 which apparently isn't a very common size. I have a new .035 liner and I'm thinking of shelving the 232 for a big project and then going to a smaller, more common wire. Dealer has suggested NR-211, but I wanted to double other opinions of this wire before I pull the trigger.

Looking for a all-position, flux-core wire. Low splatter and easy slag removal is important. Generally clean my surfaces before welding, but copper coated doesn't rust on the spool either.

I'd probably wouldn't use wire any bigger then .030 in a .035 liner and dont really care for self shielding wire, think it's to spattery. I like Dual shied flux core with 75/25 shielding gas for out of position welding, the slag will fall right off with little spatter, .045 is a good mid size.

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #3  
Why are you running NR-232?:confused: That T-8 wire is required for seismic code work.
If you don't have to use a T-8 wire, and can use a T-11 wire. Go with Lincoln's NR-212. Or Hobart's 21-B.

Attachments

• Best NR 212.jpg
    Best NR 212.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Best 3 pass.jpg
    Best 3 pass.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 94
   / Wire suggestions appreciated
212 only goes down to .045, but it'll do 3/4". Of course, 211 only goes up to 5/16" which is on the thin side.

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #5  
Before the Northridge earthquake in California, these wire manufactures did not put thickness limits on their wire. I can't tell how many 1-inch thick side bends tests I passed with Hobart's 21-B, and other T-11 wires. ;)

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #6  
Of course, 211 only goes up to 5/16" which is on the thin side.
I don't know if that should bother you. My dad passed away in 2010, when I cleaned out his barn I found some rolls of NR-211 that I took off a job in the 1980s. The wire even had rust on it. Over the years several welding inspectors told me they never seen anybody pass a bend test with NR-211. So I thought I would try my luck at it. I don't remember if this was 3/4-inch thick plate, or 1-inch thick plate. :confused:

Attachments

• 211.JPG
    211.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Post 1.jpg
    Post 1.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 117
  • Post 2.JPG
    Post 2.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Post 3.JPG
    Post 3.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Post 4.JPG
    Post 4.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Post 5.JPG
    Post 5.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 111
   / Wire suggestions appreciated #7  
Do you need low temp impact strength? That's what the NR 232 has. If it's just general welding go with Shield Arcs suggestions. I've ran .068 NR211 and liked it. What gun and tips are you using? That may have something to do with your tips wearing too fast.

/ Wire suggestions appreciated
It's a Tregaskiss gun and finding the .068 tips for it has been a real nightmare. I bought a couple the other day so I could finish up the spool but then the dealer came back and they wanted me to buy another 68 to make it a full package. As an interim solution I've been using 1/16" tips and using a torch file to open up the holes slightly.

For the moment I've been welding outside which is why I went to a self shielding wire. Frankly I don't like it, but it's what I needed to be doing. I've got a couple spools of .035 mig wire and the liner/rollers so last night I was working on changing over to gas shielded. Of course, the liner the welding shop sold me is wrong so hopefully they'll take it back several months later.

I've got like 80lbs of solid wire with a copper jacket on it. Should have taken a picture of the tag last night, I just remember it was made by Hyundai. Also have four cylinders. C02, C10, C25 and Argon. I know the argon was for my old ESAB machine which had a spool gun. During the downturn I needed some money so I sold that machine. I know for sure the CO2 was for mig welding, but I can't remember what the C10 and C25 was for? Reduced penetration and a smoother bead come to mind...

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #9  
C10 is used a lot for spray transfer welding. Some people use it for Mig welding.
C25 is a very common Mig welding gas.

/ Wire suggestions appreciated #10  
Cord (OP), I was going to suggest you're welcome to MY almost full roll of .068, but I guess logistics would be a problem. IMG_0600.JPG

Terry