Oh No, Extra Knobs

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Good day at the Auction!

DSC04368.JPG

The one welder I intend to keep is the Lincoln 255XT

It has controls that I am unfamiliar with. The bottom ones. I could pull up the manual, but I would rather know if they are in fact USEFUL.

DSC04369.JPG

Thanks

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #2  
I know less about welders than anyone on this forum so I am going to test my knowledge publicly and see how bad I fail.

The bottom ones are for spot welding, like doing sheet metal so you don't overheat. Machine runs a few seconds then quits, runs then quits, The first switch is wether or not you just keep holding the switch on. (In the down position you need to hit the trigger to activate again, the top position uses the delay you set on the next nobs). I have a poor mans version of this on my 180. Going to be intriguied in the burn back setting (the third dial). Dial 1 is how much time the machine arcs for until it quites, the second is how much wire you are putting in the weld.

Again, please, wait for an expert, I am just testing my knowledge.

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #3  
Oh and I have to ask, how much was that bad boy, whatever it was woudl be a score, looks in great shape.

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs
The pictures don't do it justice. They were marked as 575V and people might have thought they were three phase. The nameplate said single, but even I wasn't 100% sure.

I paid 400 CDN for the C, which I didn't realize didn't have a whip and 875 for the XT plus 10% buyers premium.

I could have bought a 2 ton overhead crane for $600.00!!!!!. Too bad I didn't see it, but maybe for the best. No place for it now.

A Like BRAND new LINCOLN 375 Precision TIG sold for $1100.00!!

I only played with the XT a little, but I was surprised that when I put the toggle down, it does stay on when the trigger is pulled, until you pull it again. Can't see the point in that.

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #5  
So basically 325USD and 715 USD for the big boy. Hate you. And that is the international kind of hate. THe one where we send ***** up to run for Parliment when this is all over.

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs
Well, yes I am tickled pink.

But figure in the thousands of KMS I have driven, hundreds of hours spend, and bad deals I have bought at auctions, and maybe I break even!

That last auction had me up at five, after a sleepless night. Three hours there, six on site and three back!

I don't like *****, never have. But then I don't like Chrome on a pickup truck. I do think his intentions are honest and have validity. Unlike the other lying career politicians. I would trade him for what we have in a heartbeat!

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #7  
I only played with the XT a little, but I was surprised that when I put the toggle down, it does stay on when the trigger is pulled, until you pull it again. Can't see the point in that.

I have a 256, which I think is the newer model. Sometimes I change the toggle when I've been welding for an extended time. It allows me to move my hand around a bit and not have to hold the trigger all the time, helping to relieve fatigue. The run-in slows the initial wire speed until an arc is established. I use this all the time. When I first got my machine, I found that at times it would not establish a steady arc, but "shot porcupine quills" on my work. I set the run-in at 50 and it worked great.

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #8  
Those nobs are good ones to have, the toggle switch if working should keep the arc going once you hit the gun trigger, push the trigger again and it will stop the arc, nice to have when doing alot of welding, (caution) when you leave your welder to get a cup, shut it off so if your cat jumps on your mig gun and the trigger gets hit, could come back with the whole roll of wire on the ground or melted on your tractor bucket.

Spot Time> sound like for tack welding. Run In>> adjustable wire speed for arc start, then goes to what you have the wire speed on, good one to have. Burn back>>>adjust the wire length that automatically burns back when you stop welding so the wire doesn't get stuck in the puddle and helps on restart, good one to have.

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs
I got my Cat from a fab shop at my friends. It can probably weld better then me anyway.

I can't see a reason to have the welder stay on without trigger pulled.

And I can tack, not too bad. Not sure if I need a timer.

I did read the manual in the meantime. Not sure I fully understand the Run in business. You can

And, I can tack something together, not to bad without a timer.

I read the manual in the meantime. It seems you can set the burn back on machines without this control, but this over rides it. I don't get the point.

Thanks

/ Oh No, Extra Knobs #10  
I can't see a reason to have the welder stay on without trigger pulled.
I usually don't use this feature on small work. It's just an option that helps to relieve some fatigue when welding long passes all day long.

And I can tack, not too bad. Not sure if I need a timer.
I don't use this when I tack. There is a spot weld nozzle you can get to do spot welds. Not something I've needed.

I did read the manual in the meantime. Not sure I fully understand the Run in business.
I was filet welding a bunch of 1/8" strap and angle for a project. I was probably set up about 18.5V and 270 IPM. When I pulled the trigger, the wire came so fast that a proper arc could not be established. It would burn a piece of wire off about an inch long and leave it stuck to my project, followed quickly by several more - made me think of a porky pine. This all happens very rapidly. By setting the run-in speed, it slows the initial wire speed down to whatever you dial in on the run-in knob. As soon as an arc is established, it reverts to the wire speed setting you have set. Again, very rapidly and you don't even notice, except that it gives you a very nice arc.

No cats are allowed inside the shop!