Anybody try a ESAB Rebel?

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Just fishing for some feedback on the machine. I suspect this is the first of what will be a new generation of machines from all of the manufactures out there, but for now ESAB doesn't seem to have much for competition. Personally, I like the novice user friendly features, but I'd like a dash more power. 250 would be perfect.

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #3  
Sounds pretty cool. I have a little ESAB 161 stick/tig machine that I really like.

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #4  
ESAB doesn't make that Rebel. They buy and re-badge. They have plenty of competition from Miller and Lincoln Plus the Thermal Arc / Tweco 211I for 1/2 the price. ESAB has now been joined together with the Thermadyne products so they are dumping the Thermal Arc Brand and going with the buy and re-paint strategy. Lincoln is eating the Rebels lunch. $400 less and it's a Lincoln. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying the Rebel is bad. Just over priced with a few bugs because it was never field tested prior to launch. Run B4 you buy.

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #5  
Just fishing for some feedback on the machine. I suspect this is the first of what will be a new generation of machines from all of the manufactures out there, but for now ESAB doesn't seem to have much for competition. Personally, I like the novice user friendly features, but I'd like a dash more power. 250 would be perfect.

You might want to take a look at Everlast. They have some good looking and versatile machines at what looks to be better prices. I think their stuff is designed in the US and made in China. For pro use you'd likely want something from Miller but expect to pay a lot more.

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #6  
Actually did a little bit of Mig with a Rebel just today at my LWS. Smooth arc. Nice unit. No internal gas valve for tig:thumbdown: Actually went in to look first hand at a Miller 215, but they didn't have one. Steered me towards the Esab. Guessing they get a better return on those verses blue. About the same money for the Miller, but it has a internal gas valve for TIg separate from the Mig, so no switching between bottles. I'm also looking at the Everlast 211Si, pretty hard. I have a Miller warranty shop here in town, and not having to fiddle with swapping bottles are a plus for Miller, better duty cycle and better price for a complete setup, Mig, Tig(with foot controller)is a plus for Everlast.

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #8  
And the Everlast has a HF start on TIG.

Sorry, Mark. Didn't mean to forget that.
BTW, Did I read that you guys have a repair center on this side of the country now?

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel?
They just released a 235 that will take a full spool of wire. Now I'm really stoked.

/ Anybody try a ESAB Rebel? #10  
They just released a 235 that will take a full spool of wire. Now I'm really stoked.

235 will likely be built off the 252 platform, so probably 220 only, rather than 120/220 capable.