Anybody stick weld aluminum?

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum? #1  

BKBoiss

Gold Member
Tractor
Has any one had any experience stick welding aluminum. I'm no professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to build something out of aluminum but with the price of a spool gun and gas I decided to try sticking it. It seemed to work not too bad but it was definitely very unpredictable, not at all like I'm used to welding steel.

image-1509615905.jpg

This is my "best" work. I won't show you the other side. It seemed to be determined to jerk me around.

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum? #2  
Has any one had any experience stick welding aluminum. I'm no professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to build something out of aluminum but with the price of a spool gun and gas I decided to try sticking it. It seemed to work not too bad but it was definitely very unpredictable, not at all like I'm used to welding steel.

View attachment 485851

This is my "best" work. I won't show you the other side. It seemed to be determined to jerk me around.

STICK WELDING ALUMINUM SUCKS, I DO IT TO GET CUSTOMER OUT OF A JAM UNTIL THEY CAN BRING IT TO THE SHOP TO GET TIG WELDED.

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum? #3  
After 40 years of welding as a pipefitter and nuclear certified;aluminum stick is about the most difficult there is.I very dislike welding any form of aluminum but "Tig" is about your best bet.

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum? #4  
I played with it just a little bit. I had the best luck with a little pre-heat. Boy you got to move fast! :shocked:

Attachments

• 4043.JPG
    4043.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 467
   / Anybody stick weld aluminum? #5  
Couple things to make it easier. Must preheat to 500 degrees. Turn on acetylene and smoke the area to weld. Turn on oxygen and slowly heat the smoked area. When the smoke on the plate is gone that is approx.500 degrees. Aluminum stick rods need to be ran in a near vertical position which is difficult because the rod burns up very quickly and if the material has any oxidation you will get porosity. Practice is important. Lastly, Aluminum stick rods work better as Aluminum brazing rods. Try that too. Good Luck..

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum?
Yeah I did notice how fast they burn up, and my biggest problem was I would think I was doing good, the flux looked great and then I would clean it off to find a gobby melted mess underneath. When I have more time I'm going to practice some more and maybe try the brazing thing. I imagine if you used them as brazing rods it would give you a bit more control without having to move so fast.

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum? #7  
My BIL had a "fleet" of jon-boats at his marina back in the 1970's,,,
The 20 boats would develop leaks, and my BIL could not afford a TIG setup.

The guy at the welding supply recommended trying to weld the boats using the stick welding rods,,
but, rather than electric welding, use the oxy-acetelene torch.

It worked perfectly. Simply use the electric rods as filler metal.
My BIL had never welded aluminum before, and he quickly fixed all the boats.

/ Anybody stick weld aluminum? #8  
It's pretty rough but works. When I owned a marine construction business we always kept a pack on each boat for emergency repairs. In fact the tool boxes in my truck have a legs welded on with a stick welder. It's ugly and as was mentioned you move fast but it will work.

Anybody tried the Alumaloy from the old commercials?Alumaloy Home Official Site

They made it look easy.