Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value

/ Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #1  

roadhunter

Elite Member
Tractor
JCB 212SU
I was going through some of my welding stuff I don't use and getting it listed on e-bay and noticed my plasma cutter sitting under the table. I bought it new about 10 years ago for a project repairing some breakwater on Grand Lake in Oklahoma. Since then it has been used only a few occasions that I can think of and has been several years since I used it. Since I dont' use it and at some point consumables will be hard to get I decided to get rid of it. If I remember correctly I paid about $1,500 for it. I decided to list it on ebay and see how it does as far as resale value. I'm pretty amazed that it's already up to $400 and only been up for a day.

I have bought an sold quite a few welders over the years and have always come out pretty good it seems. I've purchased a used Miller Maxstar 150 a while back on e-bay, used it a year or so, and ended up selling it for $20 more than what I purchased it for. I also bought a Hobart Handler 125 new and ended up selling it for about $75 less than what I paid several years later. I had a Everlast PA200 that I bought new for $350 but it only brought $225 less than a year later on e-bay.

It's actually pretty amazing how some welders can maintain their value over the years.

Anybody got any resale value stories?

/ Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #2  
What amaze me is how high the old Lincoln SA-200s sell for in the mid west. I've seen them go for $8,500.00! :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Attachments

• 3-girls date.jpg
    3-girls date.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 130
   / Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value
Any idea what those SA-200's sell for new?

/ Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #4  
I have heard, one dollar an amp. How true that is, I have no idea. When I started out, all you seen on constructions sites were Short Hoods, and Red Face welders. If I ever heard what they cost, I forgot!

/ Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #5  
That's why I stay away from your basic consumer junk. Buy good stuff used and you can use it and sell it for as much or more than you paid for it. It really has cost you nothing, plus you have had nice capable, quality equipment.

/ Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #6  
My dad and I went in halfers on a Miller gas powered unit 15 years ago. It came off a crane truck and had 12, 24 & 36V battery charger built into it but only had one 110V plug, I needed 220V to run my plasma cutter in the field so I bought the Miller Bobcat I have now. We bought it for $300, I made lots of money with it before I bought the Miller Bobcat and took the other one to a farm auction and sold it for a little over $600. I also have a Hypertherm Powermax 900 plasma cutter I bought at auction, it had a 50 feet power cable with it, an extra cutting lead and a box of brand new extra tips and spare parts and was on a cart. Paid $1,050.00 for it and still using it today. I have cut 3/4" metal with it no problem. It's not for sale, lol.

My dad and I went in halfers on a Miller gas powered unit 15 years ago. It came off a crane truck and had 12, 24 & 36V battery charger built into it but only had one 110V plug, I needed 220V to run my plasma cutter in the field so I bought the Miller Bobcat I have now. We bought it for $300, I made lots of money with it before I bought the Miller Bobcat and took the other one to a farm auction and sold it for a little over $600. I also have a Hypertherm Powermax 900 plasma cutter I bought at auction, it had a 50 feet power cable with it, an extra cutting lead and a box of brand new extra tips and spare parts and was on a cart. Paid $1,050.00 for it and still using it today. I have cut 3/4" metal with it no problem. It's not for sale, lol.

I"m selling a Powermax 600. I'm curious to see what it brings on e-bay.
Hypertherm Powermax 6 Plasma Cutter with Extra Comsumables | eBay

Quick Search turned up this for an original cost on a 1946 SA-200.
SA200_Brochure_1 COVER.jpg

/ Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #9  
Dam!:shocked::shocked: That is high for the times! I paid $250.00 for this 1948.

Attachments

• Complete 1.JPG
    Complete 1.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 161
   / Welder Plasma Cutter Resale Value #10  
I picked up a nice AC/DC Lincoln arc welder on Craigslist 2 years ago for 150$. They also gave me all the welding rod they had. Think I did pretty good:dance1: