Lincoln 180C cooling fan help

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Hey everyone

I am welding outdoors, it is humid. The temp is around 35. I turned my 180C on and the fan did not come on. I actually didn't think anyting of it and proceeded to weld, 15 1" welds. Fan did not come on. Before I panic, anyone have any insight? I didn't catch the fan until I was shutting stuff off and was wondering why I could not hear the machine running.

Just wondering if this machine has a thermostat.

Oh, and the machine is a few years old but not broken in yet. I am just finishing my first spool of wire and my first bottle of 75

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help #2  
Do you have mud dauber wasps in your area? Around here they love building nests on parts in confined spaces. They have built on/frozen up my old lincoln welder's fan blades before. No harm done- just had to remove the cover and clean them off the fan blades. Can you see the fan blades through a grille? If so, maybe you could use a long wire to check that they spin freely.

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help #3  
I doubt that machine is fan on demand. Spin the fan and switch it on while it's spinning. if it doesn't go. Needs help.

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help #4  
I had to replace the cooling fan in my Miller. I just got a 220volt muffin fan, about 6" in diameter, and made a bracket for it. Much better fan than the original and cheap to buy.

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help
Well, tore the 180 apart. Got a screwdriver into the fan (Oh boy is this thing put together tight) and the fan spun freely. Plugged it in and the fan started right up. Grumble. Blew it all out and closed it up. Will still call Lincoln tomorrow and shake the tree.

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help #6  
Was it inside warmed up or still in cold space?

Still cold. And I started it before I took it apart and the fan did not turn. So.... Musta knocked something free. I checked the schematics and did not see any sort of thermo switch.

I am still calling Lincoln tomorrow, didn't realize the machine had a 3 year warranty, that might help.

Just as an aside. Called Lincoln. Within 2 minutes had a very talkative and helpful tech tell me how to replace the fan, and other things to look out for. I am going to hold off for now as it appears to be working fine. Cost for new fan $37.18 if I go that route, and a minor amount of busted knuckles getting it undwedged.

/ Lincoln 180C cooling fan help #9  
3 Yr Warranty is bumper to bumper. If it's still in warranty I would take to a LWS and have a new fan put in free of charge. Fans usually don't cause problems unless they are subject to a frozen shop.