Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement

/ Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Ordered a 60" 1/2"x4" weld-on replacement cutting edge for my 48" bucket.
Titan 6" Bucket Cutting Edge Hardened 155 Carbon Steel 1/2" Tractor Loader | eBay

My question is what to do with the ends. The pictures show the cutting edge wrapped around and up the ends of the bucket a couple inches. I think that I can duplicate that by heating with the rosebud torch and pounding the ends up but not sure if I can do it as well as the original.

The existing up-wrap is worn blunt so would kinda like to replace it but the other option might be to cut the existing cutting edge off while leaving the wrapped vertical portion on each end. The new piece would be laid in flush with the outside edge of the vertical portion.

Could use some feedback on how to approach this. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CUTTING-EDGE-2.JPG
    CUTTING-EDGE-2.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 761
  • CUTTING-EDGE-1.JPG
    CUTTING-EDGE-1.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 857
   / Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #2  
Replace your cutting edge flat across. No need to heat and bend up the ends. You can weld or bolt the new edge onto the existing edge. Measure the new edge the full width of your bucket and cut off the excess. A torch or cut off wheel will do the job. The upright pieces are for a wear edge when running the bucket along a curb. You can leave those alone. I would weld or bolt the new edge under the original.

/ Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #3  
Leave the cutting edge extend a bit on each side. Weld new cutting edge to the bucket side edges.

A little extension can be handy for poking/cutting things like garage doors or roots.

/ Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #4  
Few years ago, I extended a bucket for a friend. Added 18-inches on each side. When we replaced the cutting edge, we just cut a small piece, and welded it on the side of the bucket.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 539
  • End.JPG
    End.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 486
  • cut edge 2.JPG
    cut edge 2.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 883
   / Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement
I forgot to mention that one reason for replacing the edge is that it is bent in a couple places which makes it difficult to install and remove my Piranha tooth bar.
The other reason, of course, is that the existing edge is worn blunt. I would think that welding the new edge under the existing blunt would defeat the purpose of a sharp cutting edge. I had planned to remove the existing edge by cutting the welds top and bottom.

Egon above--I assume your "garage doors" comment is tongue in cheek but I could see a bit of use for an extended cutting edge beyond the bucket length. Probably would nip it off, however, the first time I caught the "garage door".

Shield Arc above--What stick rod would you recommend for welding and what about some pre and post heat?

/ Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #6  
I used Mig on the cutting edge. But 7018 is just fine! I used a weed burner for preheat, then wrapped the cutting edge in a welding blanket, and house insulation for an overnight cool down after welding. This cutting edge is AR-200, that is all the steel supplier had.
I recommend you back step, and skip around when welding! So you won't warp the cutting edge!

Attachments

• cool down.JPG
    cool down.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Jack.JPG
    Jack.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 432
  • Back step welds.jpg
    Back step welds.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 387
   / Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #7  
Your original edge is not 1/2" thick. Will your Piranha tooth bar fit on the new 1/2" thick bar.

You can install your new edge however you want. That's a lot of work to cut off all the weld on the original. If it was mine I'd straighten the original cutting edge with the rosebud torch and weld the new edge to the bottom. But that's me.
Keep us posted on your progress.
I'd tack the new edge on with 6013 then finish weld with 7018 and skip weld like SA says to prevent warp..

/ Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement
The original edge does measure 1/2" thickness. It was bent badfully (typo but I thought it might be a new word :)) when I bought it used. Was able to straighten it considerably with the rosebud but the Piranha is still difficult to install.
Plenty of time on my hands so want to remove the existing edge before installing the new.

I'm thinking that, in addition to skip welding, I should alternate welds between the top and bottom of the bucket. No?

/ Bucket Cutting Edge--Need Advice Regarding Replacement #9  
OK on the original being 1/2", it doesn't look like it is in your pics.
I would alternate welds between top and bottom but I'm not a professional welder.