MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #1  

Plas62

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H
I am looking into buying a mig welder for hobby/farm use. I have very limited stick welding experience, I managed to get two pieces of metal to stick together a couple of times without hurting myself or others.

I have a 230vac 1ph 50 amp service available in my shop. I would be using the welder for repairs and hobby fabrication anywhere from 1/8" thick mild steel to 1/2" thick mild steel.

I am looking for an entry level gas/mig unit recommendations that won't break the bank.

Thanks
Jim

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #2  

Attachments

• Mig 1.JPG
    Mig 1.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Mig 2.JPG
    Mig 2.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 114
   / MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #3  
I made the mistake of buying 3 smaller and cheaper welders, wasting money, till i got tired of the limitations and got me a Millermatic 252. I'm all good now!

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #4  
Still seems to be the 2 best bang for the buck units out there are the Everlast iMig 200 or Tweco 211i. Both 115/230v for portability and both stick weld as well. Both under $900.00. With other great features. Bare bones units would be Hobart, Lincoln 185, Tweco 181 and Miller 230v at approx. 130-150 true amps all calling themselves 181-185's. None of the welding equipment is USA made anymore so check around and you will find a good unit in your price range. Be sure to budget for an auto darkening hood too.

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie
Thanks for the replies. The Millermatic 252 is a nice unit, but way out of my price range. The Everlast and Tweco are more in my price range.

After looking at the Welding forum further I see Everlast is a sponsor. I will send them a PM for a price on the iMig 200.

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #6  
I sort of broke the bank buying my Miller 211MVP dual voltage but I really enjoy it and expect it to be my only machine for as long as I last. You definitely want 230v ability or you will be severely limited. Having 110v is nice for portability. Now Miller has an inverter unit, the transformer model should be a better bargain. They are heavy though compared to the new inverter models so if you do plan to haul it around a bunch... something to consider. Personally, mine will stay in my shop 99% of the time. In fact, it has only ventured out once... and that was to visit Shield Arc when I first bought it!

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #7  
I'm not a welder. I have a 37 year learning curve where I dabbed at it. Half that time I used a Miller 240V AC stick. Second half I bought the same stick in an AC/DC....super improvement. Rods started out as 6011 for first favorite and 7018 as of the last few years regardless of material thickness. Great holding capability, looks not all that great.

Then a few years ago I bought a Farmhand 85 115V MIG core welder and it worked pretty good on .035 flux core wire but when I changed to .030 it worked great. Then on to a HF 151 model I think, 240V mig with gas using .030 preferred steel wire. I fell in love with that baby and I can weld what I want within reason.....haven't gone to half inch, but quarter inch thickness and down is a walk in the park. Now the Miller just sits and watches.

See if I can load a picture of the rear wheel extensions for my 2400 out of 8" SCH 40 pipe and quarter inch steel plate.

Attachments

• P1010133.JPG
    P1010133.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 102
   / MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #8  
Still seems to be the 2 best bang for the buck units out there are the Everlast iMig 200 or Tweco 211i. Both 115/230v for portability and both stick weld as well. Both under $900.00. With other great features. Bare bones units would be Hobart, Lincoln 185, Tweco 181 and Miller 230v at approx. 130-150 true amps all calling themselves 181-185's. None of the welding equipment is USA made anymore so check around and you will find a good unit in your price range. Be sure to budget for an auto darkening hood too.

For value, I can vouch for the Tweco's. I bought the 181i (220v only) strictly for running .023 mig wire and spool gun for light gauge aluminum.

IMG_7387.JPG

Terry

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #9  
I sort of broke the bank buying my Miller 211MVP dual voltage but I really enjoy it and expect it to be my only machine for as long as I last. You definitely want 230v ability or you will be severely limited. Having 110v is nice for portability. Now Miller has an inverter unit, the transformer model should be a better bargain. They are heavy though compared to the new inverter models so if you do plan to haul it around a bunch... something to consider. Personally, mine will stay in my shop 99% of the time. In fact, it has only ventured out once... and that was to visit Shield Arc when I first bought it!

+1 on the 211MVP. Really enjoy mine.

/ MIG Welder Recommendations for Newbie #10  
A good place to start is with at least 200 amps. No more than 250 though for the type use you describe. If you are thinking about quality and budget, the Power i-MIG 210 is right in the ball park. 210 amps at 50% duty cycle. MIG and Stick welder. Spool gun capable. Full size, 12" roll capable as well. Spot, stitch and burn back features. Digital readout of volts and wire speed feed. Less than a grand.