Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #1  

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
Over on Welding Web they're forever commenting (I'm being polite here) on how HF/110v/eBay/6in1 welders are only good for door stops.

This got me thinking. There's probably a myriad of "alternate" uses for our welding machines. Perhaps you innovative fellow TBN'ers could add your YOUR ideas. Maybe this info would even help persuade your "better half" that you NEED another (bigger, better, newer) one.

IMG_1561.JPG

I'll start off.

I loosen the drive roller tensioner on a mig, crack open the tank valve and turn on the machine. I then pull the trigger with the gun pointed down into an opened bottle of wine to displace the oxygen. (Yes I know, inexpensive vacuum pumps are available, but what fun is that)

IMG_1255.JPG

Feel free to share your experience(s)

Terry

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #2  
Dissipate what????

I think you are on the wrong forum???? :D

I thawed a frozen galvanized water pipe with a Welder.

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #3  
Dissipate what????

I think you are on the wrong forum???? :D

I thawed a frozen galvanized water pipe with a Welder.

My Grandpa told me they used to do that all the time until they burned a house.

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #4  
Terry, I like the wine bottle purge. Wife caught me bringing out a half empty bottle to the shop the other day. I didn't have a come back... nor did I come back with it. Now I have options. :thumbsup: :D

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #5  
I made a shallow pool out of cinder blocks and plastic sheet about 5' X 6' X 6" deep, put in some water, some washing soda, a couple blocks of wood, and set my front porch iron hand rails into the solution, then hooked up the negative lead of my DC arc welder to the rail and the positive to some sacrificial anodes around the edges. Turned it on and the rust fled the railings to the anodes. A day later and I had clean railings, ready for a wipe down and paint. :thumbsup:

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #6  
Interesting Moss. I will have to remember that idea.

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #8  
I've used mine for cutting styrofoam. Tuned down low, a 1/16 ss tig rod and go at it. Once you get the heat set it gives a nice square cut without all the bits floating around.............Mike

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #9  
I use my tombstone to hold down the concrete slab in my shop. Works good, floor hasn't moved in years! ;)

/ Getting The Most Out Of Your Welder #10  
I use my tombstone to hold down the concrete slab in my shop. Works good, floor hasn't moved in years! ;)

After putting the welder on this boat trailer,, the boat trailer has not moved in half a decade,,,

welder2_zpsipcq6pex.jpg

I sweep under the boat trailer with the leaf blower.

The wire feeder and bottle are helping hold the shop attic in place,,, SUCCESS!! :thumbsup:

Putting away the welding leads (total of about 125 feet of 1/0 wire) is ALL the exercise I need that day.