Welding Course Prices

/ Welding Course Prices #1  

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
There is much mention of the value of taking beginner welding courses at Community Colleges. I've attached a photo/ad of what's available in MY area. $795 for 30 hours for any ONE of three processes. :(

I've never taken one as I dont "do well" in classroom environments.*

* True story: I couldn't even make it through a wine appreciation course. Too much theory and not ' nuff drinking. :)

Just wondering what prices are like in YOUR areas.

IMG_1335.JPG

Terry

/ Welding Course Prices #2  
I just signed up for a mig/tig course at our local regional tech school.
A 30 hr course is $440. I have taken welding before and have always been satisfied with the facility and teacher.

/ Welding Course Prices #3  
The local HS shop teacher offered classes. One night a week for 2hrs for 12 weeks, I think. I can't remember exact cost, but it was like buy one book, and $50.

No college credit was offered, it was high school teacher, but very good welding instructor.

/ Welding Course Prices #4  
I also took a couple of welding courses offered at the local high school tech center. If I remember correctly each night was 2 hours, 1 hour classroom and 1 hour hands on. Each course was around $120. I took 2 mig classes and 2 stick. The instructor had worked at Galion making excavators. Excellent hands on training with quality equipment. His HS students placed 1st or 2nd in state competitions for many years.

/ Welding Course Prices #5  
There is much mention of the value of taking beginner welding courses at Community Colleges. I've attached a photo/ad of what's available in MY area. $795 for 30 hours for any ONE of three processes. :(

I've never taken one as I dont "do well" in classroom environments.*

* True story: I couldn't even make it through a wine appreciation course. Too much theory and not ' nuff drinking. :)

Just wondering what prices are like in YOUR areas.

View attachment 494186

Terry

Save yourself a ton of money and go to a Jr. College and purchase the text book used in the class; buying used will save more money. Get a welder and some scrap and get after it.

/ Welding Course Prices
Save yourself a ton of money and go to a Jr. College and purchase the text book used in the class; buying used will save more money. Get a welder and some scrap and get after it.

Good idea!

/ Welding Course Prices #7  
Around here, the community college welding courses price is from $800 to about $1200, for one process, based upon whether you are taking a basic or an advanced; (completion of basic is required before taking advanded).

/ Welding Course Prices #8  
That sees pretty pricey. I went to an evening tech school for $400 or so and that included materials. BUT, on the first night I learned more than in the prior five years on my own. One of the best things I ever did.

Last edited:
   / Welding Course Prices #9  
Schools are surely beneficial. No question. A great place to start prior to classes is simply to go to your LWS or several in your area. They will let you run mig, tig and or stick in their demo room. They can get you started and explain a few things. They nearly always let you make arc's and sparks as long as you want to. Then find out when any or all of the LWS's plan to have an open house or customer appreciation day. Go to as many as you can and you will have the Manufacturer's there and they will take you to the next level on all the processes. Now you become dangerous and a better student at the school IF you decide you want to go that route. If not? you will have ran the machines and made some decisions on the type of welding that appeals to you. Maybe you will be ready for your own entry level machine to take home and hone your skills. Welding in it's self is not rocket science. It's when to do what and how. A lot of that you can obviously find on here and other welding forums. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of school, I'm just saying that you may want to wet your whistle with some welding before you get there. That way if you do go, You won't be a total Green Horn in class. I was fortunate enough to get a free ride through the Hobart Institute and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't beneficial but the schools ( in my opinion ) start at a higher level than Zero experience. Good Luck !!

/ Welding Course Prices #10  
I took the first two semesters of the welding program at our local community college. First semester was gas and stick, second semester was mig and tig. The classes meet 5 hours a week for 16 weeks, cost was $500 for each one. I found it a really fast way to learn because the instructor was right there to tell me what I was doing wrong. It was also nice because they had a large variety of machines and they made us rotate through and use them all, so I was able to make a decision on what to buy for myself.