Welding with Cutting Torch?

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #1  

rtomany

Tractor
1977 Massey Ferguson 245 1999 Kubota 3010
I have a cutting torch and bottles. If I want to weld with this setup do I have to buy a welding torch or can I just replace the tip on the cutting torch with a welding tip?
Thanks!

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #2  
Just the tip. I've seen people weld with a torch and a coat hanger for the filler wire.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #3  
You will have a lot better results welding with a welding tip than a cutting tip. Can't remember why, but somewhere I had to weld with a cutting tip, it was not fun at all! :thumbdown:

Attachments

• Welding tip.JPG
    Welding tip.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 201
   / Welding with Cutting Torch? #4  
The welding tip replaces the cutting head and concentrates the torch heat into one single orifice. I have welded a few things using the cutting torch head but it is a bit difficult to control the heat on small objects. Welding tips come in common sizes ranging from 00,0, 1,2,3 and 4. I have a 1 and a 4 and don't find I need anything in between.

The 4 is good for heating but I recently picked up a small rosebud heating tip for $20 at a going out of business sale. I haven't had a need for it yet to see how well it works, but I'll bet is really sucks the O2 and acetylene from the tanks.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #5  
Just the tip. I've seen people weld with a torch and a coat hanger for the filler wire.
I have used coat hangers, twisted up tie wire and even pieces of #9 wire and just about any thing including coated electrodes that I hammer off the flux. I don't know what kind of wire is in a coat hanger, but they do weld very well with an oxy-acetylene tip.

1/8" ER70S wire is what I use now, it is much less trouble than all the other stuff and wire coat hangers are scarce around my place, everything has been replaced with plastic.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch?
I realize I'll have to use a welding tip. I was just wondering if the welding tip would work on the cutting torch without having to buy a separate welding torch.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #7  
I realize I'll have to use a welding tip. I was just wondering if the welding tip would work on the cutting torch without having to buy a separate welding torch.

Yes, you just need the tip like the picture Shield Arc posted. It just screws on.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #8  

The cutting attachment should unscrew from the torch body. The welding tip then screws on the torch body.

/ Welding with Cutting Torch? #9  
I was just wondering if the welding tip would work on the cutting torch without having to buy a separate welding torch.

Yes, if you own a combination torch. If you own just a cutting torch, then no.
Cutting torch on left, combo torch on right.

Attachments

• lg_hc1200c_hi.jpg
    lg_hc1200c_hi.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 185
  • China_Victor_cutting_torch2009371736416.jpg
    China_Victor_cutting_torch2009371736416.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 181
   / Welding with Cutting Torch? #10  
Another picture of a combo torch with welding tips:

HGO1-400-Switzerland-Type-Welding-and-Cutting-Torch-300x214.jpg