Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available?

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available?
Find a steel shop with an iron worker and it would take 10 minutes to punch all the holes you wanted.

Now there's an idea. Will check with welding shop.
Lots of good ideas. Thank you.

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #22  
A shop that does structural steel is likely to have an iron worker or maybe a steel supplier.

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #23  
Find a steel shop with an iron worker and it would take 10 minutes to punch all the holes you wanted.
My first thought...

Why not pick it up locally - 1/4 inch x 2" x 2" angle iron and drill your own holes. Just put them where you want to- not as many as in your picture (which looks like a Fred Cain cultivator on Everything Attachments).

My second thought...

Make yourself a jig so the hole distance is uniform. Drill the first, then pin each successive hole. Easier than measuring and marking each hole.
I have used the jig pin idea for something similar. Sure speeds up the process and makes consistent spacing hard to screw up! Measuring sucks. I just finished punching a hole between two rooms and installing an interior door. Amazing how many times I measured once and had to cut twice. :mur: You all know the way you are supposed to do it.

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #24  
Maybe call DirtDogMfg.COM and see if they can help you.

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #25  
Most likely you have a couple of small shops around and maybe they will do the work at price you prefer but other than finding old cultivator do not think you will find it already made. As has been mentioned you may find there is a clamp design that will solve your need and not need all the holes.

Maybe call DirtDogMfg.COM and see if they can help you.

Great idea and good advice. I just called Dirt Dog Mfg and the very nice man that answered the phone said they punch the holes themselves. He was very helpful and I came away with a great deal of respect for the company. He said they make everything in-house. Sounds like a great company with good quality control.

So, next up is my welding shop that I know has an iron worker. If they can punch the holes, so be it. If they can't, either I'll drill them or have them do it. Problem solved.

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #27  
If you were close by, I'd punch them for you.

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #28  
I dream about an IronWorker in my modest shop. :cloud9:

/ Is angle iron like this with holes in it commercilly available? #30  
That punched angle was used on a lot of cultivator frames like the old Ford/Dearborn models. I bought an old cultivator and stripped some of the tines to make the type I wanted, and thought at the time how nice it would be to find that heavy angle for sale for other projects. Finding an old one for the right price might be another option to get the angle.
edit - I just saw your earlier post saying you've used old cultivator frames in the past but you want an 8' length now. I missed that earlier.

Last edited: