Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So as no one is posting but me, figured I would share this repair.

I have been battling rust in my tank for quite some time, and figured now would be the best time to get it tackled. The plan is to cut the top of the tank off and make an access point, sand down the inside and use POR-15 to seal the tank back up.

The results - This will be over a number of days so enjoy...

The tank came out super easy. Remove the battery, disconnect the filters and valve control that hang off the tank, and remove hoses, then take the bolts off and bobs your uncle, you have a tank.

So took the tank directly over to the hose to wash out the remaining diesel. As you can see, it was not pretty. And this picture was after a 20 seconds of me standing there stunned.

IMG_3541.jpg

Next up I found that the area behind the battery was in very very bad shape. The metal is actually impacted (it is 1/8" thick btw). Not just surface rust bot some serious etching. Guess I am getting another can of POR.

IMG_3551.jpg

So took the tank back to the welding table and filled it with water, grabbed my plasma cutter and cut out my work piece. Then I drained the water, and found out that the space between the fill line and the top of the tank was very rusted. More so than the body of the tank, although the bottom of course had a bunch of rust.

Here is the top, you can see the rust. and you can also see the hole I cut...

IMG_3546.jpgIMG_3547.jpg

Finally, just adding a picture of what the tub looks like without the tank.

IMG_3545.jpgIMG_3544.jpg

Tomorrow the inlaws are swinging by for the day so Monday I will get back into it.... pan is

Make the top plate
Power Wash the inside of the tank and sand and grind
Prep and POR the inside and outside
New paint
Put the bad boy back together

Oh, as a fun side project, I am going to drive the tractor, without the gas tank (going to put a fuel hose in a jug of gas and lay the batter on the pumps) and drive it over to my pressure washer. Probably going to find some petrified stuff in there as the oil and gunk is so thick.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #2  
With all that rust, I would make a new tank.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #4  
I made this gas tank not too long ago for my 1954 Short Hood welder.

Attachments

• SA-200.jpg
    SA-200.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 253
  • Post 1.jpg
    Post 1.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Post 2.jpg
    Post 2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Post 3.jpg
    Post 3.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Post 4.jpg
    Post 4.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Post 5.jpg
    Post 5.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 239
   / Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts
Aww Jeez guys. I am REALLY sorry, this was meant for the PT Section. It has nothing to do with welding. I am really sorry to suck up the banwidth and mis post. If the moderator would like to delete this please do so. I am so sorry.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #6  
Personally I would have cleaned it, put some aggregate in it to knock the lose rust/scale out, then done a poured in liner.
I've done a few tanks this way, fuel and oil, with excellent results.

How are you going to weld the access plate back on without damaging the por15?

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #7  
PT Section??

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts
Well, as this has legs... My plan is to screw the top back on. That way I will have access to the tank for any future repairs. It is how the newer version of my machine now comes.

I am going to stick with the POR. It is within my skill set (which is not saying much) Fiberglassing and more complex coats will be beyond me. I guess I could take it to a gas tank shop and have them coat it but I feel this should work. I do need to find the right calk for the tank. Any suggestions?

As an aside, I never mentioned what a gold mine a fuel tank can be. I found a plastic nozzle to an old gas can, a penny from 2002 and a 1/4" washer. My own little private treasure hunt.

/ Rusted Gas Tank Repair and Motor Mounts #10  
Nice finds! How does the por15 hold up to fuel? I've never used it in that application.
The coatings I've used are extremely simple, just clean and dry the tank, pour in and roll the tank around until the inside is fully coated then dump out the excess.

My dad almost bought a PT before he got his kubota, I went with him to look at them. Interesting machine to operate and built stout.