Recommendations for lunette attachment

/ Recommendations for lunette attachment #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have 2 pieces of equipment that I need to modify for connection to a hammerstrap.

image001.jpg

Long story short, I've snapped a 2" x 1 1/4" drawbar with the 'orange' drag blade in the configuration it is now. I had a thread on here about potentially welding it back together, but ended up going with a new drawbar. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/372200-broken-drawbar-chances-pro-welder.html?highlight=

But now, I need to modify my drawbar and implements in order to prevent it from happening again.

I have decided on a Hammerstrap/lunette configuration.

I have a 6yd scraper (yellow) and a 12ft enclosed Killifer (drag blade/land leveler), both of which I need to be able to connect to my hammerstrap.

I have thought about simply getting a lunette bar Curt Lunette Ring - Bolt On - 3" Diameter - 22, lbs Curt Lunette Ring C4851 and welding a spacer (perhaps a piece of the old drawbar) to it in order to 'fill space'. Then cut it, drill a big hole, and simply pin it to the implement. This would allow me to move the lunette from scraper to blade and vice versa. All without final welding and cutting on the implements themselves. I'd like to know what you think of this idea. If there are major hurdles to the functionality of that option, then I'd like to know your recommendation about attaching a lunette ring to these implements, disrupting the current connection, to the least possible degree.

canvas.png

I know they are mine... and that a welded lunette ring would likely improve them from here on out, but if I ever sell them, I don't want to have it stop a sale. (this is likely poor and obstructive thinking, but at this moment, I am looking at as many possibilities and options as I am able, prior to "no return" cutting of my implements.)

IMG_3955.JPGIMG_3956.JPG

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for lunette attachment
Something like this...

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    648.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
   / Recommendations for lunette attachment #3  
My worry would be that it would rotate with a sideload or when in compression (such as when turning or going downhill).
I would add something to prevent that.

Aaron Z

/ Recommendations for lunette attachment #4  
agreed aaron, I'd make a sleeve or something that kept it from pivoting. Encompass the entire assembly and the existing tongue and bolt it all together.

I've decided to just cut off the Ag hitch and weld on a lunette bracket.

My question is, do you think that a straight plasma cut across the hitch then welding the lunette bracket on, will be enough contact and provide enough strength? I don't have any 'scrap' steel but I suspect I can get some pieces to add along the side. But I'd really like your thoughts on how to proceed. I need this to be strong enough to hold a 100hp tractor to it, should I bury the blade into the ground, thereby creating an anchor.

hitch drawing.JPGimages.jpg

I have to rent a plasma cutter and welder this weekend. And I haven't welded in quite a while. I'll practice a bit, but any details you can provide would be appreciated. I attempted to get a mobile welder to come out, but although I've spoken with 3, none seem interested in my business. So, I'm going after this myself.

I was going to use 7018, but if you have other suggestions, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Anything that a 'novice' can do to insure that I attach this well enough to the hitch that I don't break it (or at least unlikely to do so) and have to go rent the machines again. Rental for both is $140 which is a lot less than the cutter and welder I was looking at buying for the farm. I need the issue solved now, and I will have the opportunity to get one down the road. Just too many things take precedent for that $$$ right now.

So, anything you can do to help me make this cut and weld a success would be greatly appreciated.

/ Recommendations for lunette attachment #6  
I've decided to just cut off the Ag hitch and weld on a lunette bracket.

My question is, do you think that a straight plasma cut across the hitch then welding the lunette bracket on, will be enough contact and provide enough strength? I don't have any 'scrap' steel but I suspect I can get some pieces to add along the side. But I'd really like your thoughts on how to proceed. I need this to be strong enough to hold a 100hp tractor to it, should I bury the blade into the ground, thereby creating an anchor.
I would cut the existing hitch off at the back of the mouth and weld on there. You will have a lot more area to weld to and hopefully it will hold better. The area that you need to cut is small enough that I would probably just cut it with a sawzall with a metal blade if you have one. A 4 or 5 pack of metal blades would be probably cheaper than renting a plasma cutter for the weekend (not that there's anything wrong with renting plasma plasma cutter), in the words of Tim Taylor "more power" :).

Aaron Z

/ Recommendations for lunette attachment #7  
Gussets,,, you MUST have gussets,,,

no butt joint will survive, unless the entire system is 3X oversized,,, which is, infact, a gusset.

If you need ideas on how to gusset, stop at any CAT lot,, and look at their joints,,,, gussets.

I would bet money you can not find a butt joint on a CAT that is anything more than a battery support,,, etc..

/ Recommendations for lunette attachment #8  
Gussets,,, you MUST have gussets,,,

no butt joint will survive, unless the entire system is 3X oversized,,, which is, infact, a gusset.

If you need ideas on how to gusset, stop at any CAT lot,, and look at their joints,,,, gussets.

I would bet money you can not find a butt joint on a CAT that is anything more than a battery support,,, etc..
There is a gusset on the top of the tongue. I would use one of the cut off pieces to make a lower gusset.

Aaron Z

So, your recommendation is cut off EVERYTHING in front of the back of the mouth, to the 'flat' area of the tongue. And weld it there? That would certainly give me more surface on which to weld.

What rods would you use for this? Keeping in mind, my 'relative youth' in welding. 7018?

IMG_4006.JPG

/ Recommendations for lunette attachment #10  
So, your recommendation is cut off EVERYTHING in front of the back of the mouth, to the 'flat' area of the tongue. And weld it there? That would certainly give me more surface on which to weld.

What rods would you use for this? Keeping in mind, my 'relative youth' in welding. 7018?

View attachment 499603
Yes, that is how I would cut it. I would also take a triangle of the piece you cut off and use it as a gusset/brace on the bottom of the bracket.

On what stick type to use, I am not a welding expert, but if you are getting a welder that does DC, I hear that 7018 should be good.
I would use 6013, but that is because I only have an AC stick welder and it doesn't work well with 7018, but 6013 welds well with it.

Aaron Z