angle iron axle

/ angle iron axle #1  

shadetree

Silver Member
I want to use a piece of 1/4 x 2 x 2 angle iron for an axle. I cut 2 - 2 inch pieces for the ends. Will bore a hole and attach wheels with a bolt.

What is the best way to align the ends for welding?

/ angle iron axle #2  
The angle will only support a hundred pounds or so,,,
why worry about alignment,??, there will be no weight on the tires.

/ angle iron axle
I guess align was the wrong word. I can think of two ways to attach the angle iron to accomplish what I want and was wondering which would be better.

/ angle iron axle #4  
So you're using the 2 pieces of angle iron for axle supports, like a wheelbarrow tire? I'd bolt them together with a tubing spacer that's the width of the wheel assembly and tack it where it needs to be, check the alignment again with a square or tape measure, then burn 'em in.

/ angle iron axle #5  
Are you saying a 1/4" angle top and a 1/4" angle bottom with stubs sticking out the ends? Might be ok for a Lawn or ATV trailer. How much weight do you hope to haul on this thing.?

/ angle iron axle #6  
A picture is worth a 1000 " tell us more" posts.

Sketch something on paper, take a photo, and post it. You'll get some good advice.

Without more information, it will look like this if you do what everyone will suggest. :)

tony-bevan-studio-furniture-pc0222.jpg

Bruce

/ angle iron axle
I dropped my phone yesterday and it no longer will take pictures. I draw about as well as I write so...

axle.jpg

Thanks for trying to help... I can't even explain it to myself. :confused3:

/ angle iron axle #8  
Thanks.

I would prefer choice one. Choice two leaves the lower left corner unsupported.

Bruce

/ angle iron axle
Good point. And it will take less grinding to get the top right to fit the rounded corner. Thank you.

/ angle iron axle #10  
I also question how much weight you are hoping to haul.

Need more info. How wide is the axle? How big are the tires? How big is the trailer?

I wouldnt trust a 2x2 angle iron axle to hold more than I could lift in a wheel barrow. Angle iron over any kind of span is very weak, and has almost NO torsional rigidity.