Replacement Air Compressor Tank

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #1  

jrdepew

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920, JD LT180
I have an older air compressor that I got a few years back. I got it for 20 bucks and it has a monster 1hp Baldor motor on it, and a single piston pump made by champion.

I just noticed that the air tank has a hole in it, probably from the previous owner never draining it. So, it is drained of air and out of commission. Looking at it out of the corner of my eye now thanking it for now blowing up!

I started looking for a replacement tank and, of course, they cost as much as a new compressor. This compressor still works great and is nice and quiet. I don't use air for much really...filling tires and blowing stuff off. A lot of blowing off printed circuit boards after cleaning up flux from soldering.

I was thinking about using a 10 gallon portable tank and mounting it all to an old hand truck I have. But then I will have no way to drain the tank, unless I point the only fitting in the portable tank down. I could also simplify it and make it stationary, as I have another smaller portable compressor I use for nail guns and construction uses.

Anyone been down this road before? I even thought about mounting the portable tank high on some permanent shelving with copper pipe ran in such a way that I could drain the tank using that...

Have also thought that if I could get 20' of large pipe I could hide that in the top of the garage and use that for air storage. Would take a large pipe though and that would likely cost more than a tank.

If anyone has some good cheap ideas on what to do I would appreciate it!

-Joe

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #2  
Friend built one from a water heater tank...

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #3  
I have a big LPG (propane) style tank in my shop air system, I just drilled a big hole in the lowest point and welded on a nut with a bolt for a drain. It leaked so I put a tap washer on the bolt, leaks no more. It's plumbed through to the compressor with water pipe and lots of tees along the route.
Holds heaps more than the compressor alone, I wanted a high volume outlet but too tight to buy a bigger compressor yet. Whole lot owes me less than $30. It's inch and a quarter alkathene pipe off cuts between tees and the main expenses were all the reducers from the tees down to airline couplers. Tank was $5

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #4  
I just noticed that the air tank has a hole in it, probably from the previous owner never draining it. So, it is drained of air and out of commission. Looking at it out of the corner of my eye now thanking it for now blowing up!
-Joe
They don't blow up, they just start hissing/leaking through the rust.

When mine started leaking, I bought a used compressor at a yard sale, and fabbed my good compressor motor and head onto the one I bought,

standard.jpg

It was easy to do with common fittings and it fixed the leaky tank problem...

SR

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #5  
If U can find one, a propane tank is a good replacement as the pressure ratings fit just fine.(just don't invite OSEA to inspect)

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #6  
My dad built one with a propane tank. Problem was, the air coming out of it stunk and never did get to smelling better. If it was my compressor, I'd look elsewhere.

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #7  
They actually do split open (blow up) and severely hurt people sometimes.
CAUSE OF EXPLOSION OF AIR COMPRESSOR TANKS - Metropolitan Engineering Consulting and Forensics

Good thing you got a leaky one instead :)

Cheap tank options are 100 lb propane tank (brand new) mounted upside-down with a 4 way at the bottom or 2 "t" fittings. (Take out original valve)

This gives you an inlet, outlet, and drain.

Oh, 100 lb propane tank is close to 30 gallons.

Or, buy a crappy oil-less "noisemaker" and use that tank.

/ Replacement Air Compressor Tank #8  
They actually do split open (blow up) and severely hurt people sometimes.
CAUSE OF EXPLOSION OF AIR COMPRESSOR TANKS - Metropolitan Engineering Consulting and Forensics

Good thing you got a leaky one instead :)

Cheap tank options are 100 lb propane tank (brand new) mounted upside-down with a 4 way at the bottom or 2 "t" fittings. (Take out original valve)

This gives you an inlet, outlet, and drain.

Oh, 100 lb propane tank is close to 30 gallons.

:thumbsup:
Some times you can get a new 100 lb tank at TSC for $100 bucks