auto darkening helmets

/ auto darkening helmets #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Any opinions out there? seems like your choice is a cheapie for 25 bucks or 245 bucks on the other end. I have an inexpensive Miller that aI think I paid under 40 bucks for about 5 years ago but I think the solar activated battery is getting tired-time to upgrade.

/ auto darkening helmets #2  
I have 2 Speedglas brands, they have been great! You get what you pay for with a welding helmet.

/ auto darkening helmets #3  
Any opinions out there? seems like your choice is a cheapie for 25 bucks or 245 bucks on the other end. I have an inexpensive Miller that aI think I paid under 40 bucks for about 5 years ago but I think the solar activated battery is getting tired-time to upgrade.

Most solar powered auto darkening helmets have a coin cell style battery on the circuit board also. This will likely be soldered in. Take it apart and take a look. On my northern helmet I could not readily find a replacement for the batteries on the board so I added a couple of 2 AAA cell battery holders to the inside of the helmet, and now I won't have any trouble finding batteries.:) The original batteries lasted about that 5 years, but I stored the helmet in the dark which may have contributed to the battery death. You can read about it here if you are interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/356651-look-what-i-picked-up.html?highlight=

/ auto darkening helmets #4  
Any opinions. Bwhahahahahahaha.......

Had the cheapy HF for many years, didn't mind it. Wife surprised me with the Lincoln Vikin 3350 and it is a night an day difference for MY use (my use). It has a large screen, about 4", and I can adjust it to be lighter (won't darken as much) as the HF. Worth the $219 for a guy who weld 6 times a year, doubt it but I am super happy.

If I was a pro, I am sure the advantages of this type of helmet would make it worth the money.

/ auto darkening helmets #5  
I upgraded from the $40 Northern Tool to a $200 Miller a while back. Never had a problem with the cheap Northern & would highly recommend it to anybody. The Miller is a bit more comfortable,has more sensitivity & sensors. Not sure it minimizes the amount I get flashed though.

/ auto darkening helmets #6  
Any opinions out there? seems like your choice is a cheapie for 25 bucks or 245 bucks on the other end.

Old adages hold true. You get what you pay for, but a $100.00 increase buys more "better" at the low end than $100.00 increase buys at the high end. When I bought my Arc One some years ago the reaction time spec for cheapie HF or NH helmets was an order of magnitude longer than for the >$100.00 helmets (1/2000 sec vs 1/18000 sec). As an amateur who has difficulty striking an arc, I probably have as many flash cycles as a pro who welds all day.

/ auto darkening helmets #7  
Yep they operate on 3 volt cells that may or may not recharge themselves.

I test my helmet by simply flicking a lighter in front of my face. A pass is an instant darkening so I'm then good to go.

/ auto darkening helmets #8  
I have two. One from Northern Tool a few years ago and one from Harbor Freight a year or so newer. (blue flame) Both work great and the HF blue flame model uses an inside lens clip that can be ever so gently lifted enough to retain a cheater lens for tired eyes.

/ auto darkening helmets #9  
I have the $40 HF model, (Chicago tools makes it I think?) anyway it works well for me. Yes you can spend $$$ more but IMHO you only buy larger window size and maybe quicker response times. He Lincoln models are sweet but I don't do anywhere enough welding to justify...

/ auto darkening helmets #10  
Part of what you pay for in an auto hood is how light the shade gets when not welding. Higher end hoods can be shade 1 or 2 and less cost can be 3 or 4. not a huge deal but the light state is nicer when it's a lower number. Less flip up with the hood when positioning. Switching speed is part of the price as well as replaceable batteries. Solar powered are good but you're lucky to get 5-6 years outta one. Balance all of that with how obtainable and what cost the outside clear lenses are. Some are $3 each where others are 30 cents.