Today's Welding time!

/ Today's Welding time! #21  
My recollection of 1/16" stick welding (from 40 years ago).

Stick welding even 3/32" is difficult. You barely feel the flux on a 3/32, there's none of that feedback on 1/16. . 1/16" is an exercise in patience. Most stick welders don't consider items less than 1/8" thick as even "repairable". 1/8" rod is the minimum - if 1/8 rod can't fix it its not fixable. If you can get 1/16" stick-welding to work at all - you probably have the dexterity and control to consider TIG as "easy".

Well there ya go. A free pass to buying a TIG rig!! :D

Just watch that duty cycle!!!
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Ooops ..... Agreed if you want capability to weld 1/4" Aluminum then its a bigger (AC) machine. And aluminum tends to be thicker materials.

Last edited:
   / Today's Welding time! #22  
Yeah, I don't see myself welding nearly enough to justify that ... at least not at this point. I'm really just having fun developing a new skill. I like the challenge of stick.

/ Today's Welding time! #23  
Working on a stand for my new to me leg vise.
IMG_0243.JPGIMG_0244.JPG

/ Today's Welding time! #25  
I like that!

I need to make something similar - and I have a 15" automotive wheel for the base. Has anyone done this, and can recommend it?

Using a wheel makes it easy to tilt and roll into position. Personally, I find them functional but aesthetically unappealing. (butt ugly). :)

Edit: I didn't mean to sound critical about the wheel idea. It's just that's there's so many more creative ways to do it utilizing recycled materials.

Last edited:
   / Today's Welding time!
Using a wheel makes it easy to tilt and roll into position. Personally, I find them functional but aesthetically unappealing. (butt ugly). :)
Seen some that spin as well but I agree.. ugly.

/ Today's Welding time! #27  
Maybe I should paint it then? :D

Functional is the primary objective. Aesthetics ... well ... would be overkill in this 'shop'. It's a simple barn stall intended for parking equipment, so simple that it had a dirt floor for the first 50 years.

I need to roll the welder (and big vise) out in front of the stall to weld away from everything flammable so an easily movable vise will be an improvement.

80655d1183741444-changing-hydraulic-fluids-huge-drain-p1120036rsiphon-jpg

/ Today's Welding time! #28  
Maybe I should paint it then? :D

Functional is the primary objective. Aesthetics ... well ... would be overkill in this 'shop'. It's a simple barn stall intended for parking equipment, so simple that it had a dirt floor for the first 50 years.

I need to roll the welder (and big vise) out in front of the stall to weld away from everything flammable so an easily movable vise will be an improvement.

80655d1183741444-changing-hydraulic-fluids-huge-drain-p1120036rsiphon-jpg

Aesthetics are NEVER overkill IMO. :)

Here's a few pedestals I've done for inspiration. IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_7958.JPGIMG_2040.JPGIMG_0172.JPG

Terry

/ Today's Welding time! #30  
best little grinder stand I have seen is in my buddies shop. He took a 1 ton rear brake hub. welded a little reebar inside it and filled with concrete. Made plate to bolt to the lug bolts and welded a tube for the upright that the grinder sets on. the weight of the concrete makes it stable and if he wants to move it, it just tilts it on the edge and rolls it to where he wants it.
I used a large engine flywheel to make my grinder stand.