Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #1  

chado613

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH 624, IH B414, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota M7060
Hi All,

Just looking for some advice on an entry level welder for the farm. My research has suggested that a stick welder would be the best option.

Not looking to spend a fortune either, Any feedback is welcome on brands/model or anything else for that matter !!

Thanks

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #2  
Check out the EverLast PowerArc 200 or 300 models for very good stick only machines.

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #3  
Stick welders cant do the lighter gauge metals well or at all- especially for a beginner. The entry level 220/240v mig welders seem to be about the most versatile machines from thin to about 1/2" metal.
I believe Everlast is on this forum so they will get talked up.

If the budget is limited, the mig size I'm referring to has been around for a few decades and were sold by the truck load. You shouldn't have much issue finding a used one on eBay or an estate sale etc.

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #4  

Attachments

• Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    Best 6010 Cap.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 7018 Cap.jpg
    7018 Cap.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 179
   / Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #5  
If you are on a tight budget, I have an old AC Lincoln "tombstone" welder that I still like. You may be able to get a used one pretty cheap.

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #6  
Suggestions work better if you posted what your budget is. Welder prices are all over the map.

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #7  
If you are on a tight budget, I have an old AC Lincoln "tombstone" welder that I still like. You may be able to get a used one pretty cheap.

All I had was an AC buzz box on the farm for the first 30 years before I got my first mig.

As mentioned, it depends on your budget.

Terry

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm
Budget wise: around 600.
The reading I've done has suggested AC is tricky?

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #9  
Budget wise: around 600.
The reading I've done has suggested AC is tricky?

Not really. You are a bit limited in rod selection, though.

With a $600 budget that point is irrelevant. You will have a fairly good selection of inverter DC welders to choose from

Terry

/ Recommendations on Welder for Beginner for Farm #10  
I learned on AC- I have used my dad's DC welder and it welds a little differently- not really harder or easier, just different. I don't know if I would say one is harder. I think that DC can do a nicer job.