Weld or Braze

/ Weld or Braze #1  

OH10

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I had an accident and broke off the casting for my 3-point hitch. Since it is cast iron would it be better to have it brazed or welded?

Casting 1.jpgCasting 2.jpgCasting 3.jpg

/ Weld or Braze #3  
Do note, if you braze it and that fails, welding it then is impossible, or next to. The bronze impregnates the materiel and can't be removed.

/ Weld or Braze #4  
Maybe consider cutting it off flat, drill and tap some holes and get a machine shop to make a bolt on replacement.

/ Weld or Braze #5  
What's the price of a replacement part. Sometimes fixing cost more than a new part. A repair is never as good as the original, especially on CI. I have brazed a lot of stuff though that was the best and most economical solution such as the feet on machinery bases.

Ron

/ Weld or Braze #6  
I have some cast iron welding rods and a manual that tells you how to do it so welding is performed professionally....to ask if it works and is reliable. I have seen brazed (brass rod) welds on CI. Never saw one broken, done right, in right application.

/ Weld or Braze #7  
It looks like some kind of repair or cover up has been done previously in the one picture. What ever that material is on the surface would have to be thoroughly ground off to do any form of welding. To do it properly with someting that thick you need to remove the entire part, and grind a v-groove to get full welding depth, then with nickel rod for cast iron you need to pre-heat the parts and make short beads, peening immediately after each bead to relieve stress. Then that hole in the part will have to be re-machined.
Then you are still at the mercy of the quality of the casting and its impurities. So like another person said find out about the replacement cost and availability.

/ Weld or Braze
What's the price of a replacement part. Sometimes fixing cost more than a new part. A repair is never as good as the original, especially on CI. I have brazed a lot of stuff though that was the best and most economical solution such as the feet on machinery bases.

Ron

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

In order to replace the brake casing, upon which the broken casting is molded, I would have to pull the Axle and the axle casing. I will try to avoid that for sure since the repair manual states you need a chain fall to pull the axle off. I really don't want to deal with that.

As far as load goes, the epoxy repair held up for using the Augur but when I hooked up the subsoiler it broke as soon as I hit the first tough root.

I found a local guy who does a lot of on-site construction equipment repair. I'll trust his advice as to whether to braze or weld once he has a chance to look at it. If it breaks again I'll look into cutting it off flat and tapping it.

Thanks again for helping out.

Mike

/ Weld or Braze #9  
  1. Download and install XnView.
  2. Open your photos with XnView.
  3. Select, Image, Resize.
  4. Choose a width of about 800 pixels, maybe 1000 max.
  5. Select File, then Save As, and give it a new name.
  6. Now upload a reasonably sized file that won't take forever to load. There is just no reason to upload ~3mb files on a forum.

And as for the part, fuggedaboutit. It's done. Face it now, or pay to repair and then pay to replace.

/ Weld or Braze #10  
Arc Braze Arc Welding Rods

Look into these products. I have never used this brand but used to use similar products by Eutectic.

The arc braze process works great on cast iron, follow their instructions on cleaning and pre-heating. Arc-braze is more novice friendly than the cast iron and nickel rods. Short learning curve, no peening required.

Ron