Fume Extractors... why so much?

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Why do fume extractors cost so much? Are there inexpensive DIY solutions that work?

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #2  
I had an idea to use a squirrel cage fan from an old HVAC unit I had but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #4  
Not only are they expensive but the OEM filters are almost unaffordable. I know someone who did do the squirrel cage idea. He took a cardboard drum and cut a 3" hole in the top to run a vac hose to the bottom and then filled it 1/2 full of packing peanuts and put insulation in the top half. He took batts and split them so they weren't so thick about 1.5" and loosely laid them over the peanuts in I think 2-3 layers. Then he cut another hole on top I think it was 10" and cut up an expensive furnace filter and duct taped it to the hole. Sounds goofy but it is still working today. I don't know how often he changes the stuff out but this inexpensive option gets him through the winter. Summer he just blows the fan outside. I was looking in the drum one day and it was clear that there was a lot of iron powder on the bottom. Seems like the peanuts alone with the furnace filter on top would work. Not sure.

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #5  
I have to do something also 6010 gives off a cloud of smoke!!!

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #6  
Why do fume extractors cost so much? Are there inexpensive DIY solutions that work?
Probably lawyers and OSHA.
The fume extractors I’ve seen online are pretty expensive and their cfm’s are not all that good for the money. I've been checking Craigslist for one for a while with no luck so I decided to build my own fume extractor today.
I used 3 50cfm bathroom fans for a total of 150cfm. I bought the cheapest ones I could find - $13.97 each at Home Depot. I wired them in series and installed an on/off switch. I made a manifold to vent them all together and used a 4" enlarger/reducer for the exhaust (the fans have 3 inch outlets). I made a bracket to attach the unit to my Stronghand Tools Nomad welding table. I made the bracket removable so I could detach it whenever I want to. The whole project cost me $93 + tax. I did some stick and flux-core welding today for about 2 hrs. and it worked great – better than I had hoped. What a pleasure it is to weld without all that smoke!
FROM Homemade Fume Extractor For About $100 - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #7  
For safety reasons the motor is usually required to be explosion-proof- totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) which costs more than your average blower motor. The blower wheel and housing are also epoxy coated or made of a non-metallic material. Static electricity can easily be created within the blower housing as well as the exhaust ducting which can cause ignition of any flammable gases, vapors, or dust particles in the airstream.

/ Fume Extractors... why so much?
What about rigging up something using these two HF components? Maybe position the ventilator in the window and block around it and then add some type of non flammable filter screen on the free end of the duct and attach to a portable light stand. This will cost about $150. Where am I going wrong?

image_26883.jpg
8" Portable Ventilator
image_12527.jpg
8" Ventilation Duct
6925430124031.jpg
Shop Utilitech 2-Light 5-Watt Halogen Stand Work Light at Lowes.com

/ Fume Extractors... why so much?
For safety reasons the motor is usually required to be explosion-proof- totally enclosed fan cooled (TEFC) which costs more than your average blower motor. The blower wheel and housing are also epoxy coated or made of a non-metallic material. Static electricity can easily be created within the blower housing as well as the exhaust ducting which can cause ignition of any flammable gases, vapors, or dust particles in the airstream.
I keep reading about this danger but I see so many people rig up fans to ventilate their shop that are cheap and not explosion proof. But I hear you though! Just wondering for light duty DIY shop type of set up, do you need a $2500 or higher fume extractor?

/ Fume Extractors... why so much? #10  
I keep reading about this danger but I see so many people rig up fans to ventilate their shop that are cheap and not explosion proof. But I hear you though! Just wondering for light duty DIY shop type of set up, do you need a $2500 or higher fume extractor?
No that's what he's trying to say is that stuff that is marketed for that use is required to meet a list of requirements of osha for approve it, that list requires it to function in situations that you will never create in your home shop.