Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong?

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #21  
similar to above, to what was noted above.I have found air supply is also critical. My air is regulated for whatever the machine requires, I think it is 80psi? I have an 80 gallon compressor and even on a 12" long cut I will trip the compressor. I cannot imagine running my plasma without constant dry air at the right psi. I don't prep anything rust, scale whatever, I only prep where my ground will be connected. I also have no trouble with 1" cut, I think my machine is rated 1.25 sever and 3/4 or so pierce(100% duty cycle). I'm not sure of the rating for the hypertherm45

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong?
I don't think air is the problem. I have a separator at the compressor and there is one built into the 45XP. I'm not dipping below 90psi.

Thinking voltage. Here is the cut...

IMG_9444.JPG

IMG_9445.JPG

IMG_9446.JPG

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #23  
Will be interesting to see/hear opinions. Appears your speed is good. The cut is very rough though. Assuming you were using a guide?

I'm not qualified enough to discuss the slag. I actually don't worry about that too much.

Are you still using the same tip and electrode that you cut the blade with?

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #24  
OVRSZD: The tip has a circular 1" diameter "cage" around it that sets the correct working height above the material. I typically use a piece(s) of angle held in place with magnets: Bessey Magnetic Welding Square, 3-3/4InLx3/4InW WMS-5 | Zoro.com

I understand that wood is doable as a guide also. But it would need a clamp to be held in place and I have not had a need to try this method yet.

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #25  
OVRSZD: The tip has a circular 1" diameter "cage" around it that sets the correct working height above the material. I typically use a piece(s) of angle held in place with magnets: Bessey Magnetic Welding Square, 3-3/4InLx3/4InW WMS-5 | Zoro.com

I understand that wood is doable as a guide also. But it would need a clamp to be held in place and I have not had a need to try this method yet.

Thanks for the reply. I've considered trying elevated tips but just couldn't figure out how to guide. Is your "cage" an item purchased and added to the gun?

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #26  
Remember that there are 2 types of Dross (slag) Low speed from too slow of travel speed and High Speed from too fast. Low speed dross is easy to remove and High speed dross is difficult to remove. Your pics are what normal hand held cutting looks like whan not using a stand off or guide. Most times the cuts like these are fine, Knock off the dross, Touch with the grinder and weld. Even with a flat plate and a straight edge you will get some dross because you will have a hard time keeping the perfect speed. The little ripples in your cut are simply motion. No Worries, Cuts look normal.

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #27  
Thanks for the reply. I've considered trying elevated tips but just couldn't figure out how to guide. Is your "cage" an item purchased and added to the gun?

Mine came standard with the cage. These are replacements I stocked up on: C1394 Spacer Spring Fit Cebora P7 CP-7 Trafimet CB7 S45 CV:) 743.149 5PK | eBay

Contact tips are optional, which I have yet to purchase. I have no photos of it in actual use. Attached are a few pics of a weigh box just completed with lots of help from the plasma. The 3PH pallet mover tines/support arms were cut to length with the plasma and then welded parallel with the pieces left to allow more support for the weight box. Also cut the holes for the 2" receiver, along with cutting off a bale spear type contraption. All of these cuts would have been much more difficult with any other tool. Angle iron guides used for all cuts except the spear which was free hand.

Box weighs 1240# measured and has internal storage space or enough room to add more weight if necessary.

_EM51599.JPG_EM51609.JPG_EM51614.JPG_EM51680.JPG_EM51682.JPG

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #28  
Mark.

From the info you give I would guess that your air quality is not an issue and you are not getting the amps you need due to your restrictive extension cord.

Here's a pic of 1/2" plate cut with my Miller 625 Extreme (and
and from what I can gather a LESSER capacity machine than yours).

Wide blade chisel pictured makes short work of dross removal. IMG_2167.JPG

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #29  
I think when you are able to wire a 50 amp receptacle you'll go a long way toward solving your problem. My 45XP cuts on 1/2 look a lot like Big Barns and I have to use a guide.

/ Plasma cutting - what am I doing wrong? #30  

Richard. My first Miller Spectrum plasma I purchased almost 20 years ago didn't have elevated drag tips.

I made this straightedge guide to maintain correct cutting height for material over 3/16". I JB welded 3 aluminum vice jaw protectors to a length of aluminum angle iron (at appropriate height) for the plasma's retaining cup to slide on.

IMG_2169.JPG

I also have a short magnetic guide for smaller cuts. The edge is elevated at the correct height for NON standoff tips. It's branded "Hypertherm" but I'm quite certain it's made by Flange Wizard.

IMG_2168.JPG

Terry