Can you have too much plasma cutter?

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter? #1  

TimBuck2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310 HST and Ford 841
I am dreaming of the plasma cutter I see in my relatively near future.
I am going to go new because ..... all my other stuff has been bought used, and I commonly see advice on this bulletin board and others that a plasma cutter is a good tool to buy new.

My question:

Does the ease and quality of cutting thinner material suffer if you are using a more powerful machine than needed for that cut.

Most of my cutting will be in the 16 ga. to 5/8" range.

I have a couple of projects in mind that will involve ca. 3/4" or 1" steel. .

Will I be sorry doing cuts of thinner material if I went with a bigger machine - say rated 3/4" for normal operation (and thicker for occasional cuts).

Thanks,
Tim

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter? #2  
Do you have a budget? I have an Everlast 60 and it will cut 1" thick steel. It's not going to be a perfect cut but for what I want it's fine. If I had more uses for one I would have gone with a Hypertherm 45 or maybe even a 60. They are built close to us in NH and the owner (I think) has offered tours to TBN members. The Hypertherm 45 is about 3 times the cost though. This is a piece of a flywheel that I cut.

S7300212.JPG

Last edited:
   / Can you have too much plasma cutter? #3  
I have the Hypertherm 1000. It cuts thick and thin with ease. Just adjust the power. I don't think you can buy too big. Have had mine sever 1 inch steel and 1/8 alum.

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter?
crazyal, at my stage in life I don't have to worry about the money so much (as long as I don't live too too long). I did to some checking into Everlast on this forum and other places. Sounds a bit like hit or miss on the particular machine you get.

Plus, as I said, most of my expensive tools are craigslist items so I am ready to splurge.

Right now I am in mind set of going with, what sounds like the best out there - Hypertherm.

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter?
Thanks crystallake, just the kind of info / opinion I am looking for.
Tim

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter? #6  
If money is not a big concern then go with a Hypertherm Powermax 85. To go larger I think you need to have 3 phase power. The 85 will make a nice cut in 1" thick steel all the way down to thin sheet metal. Honestly if I had the spare money I would probably go with at least the 65 and set up a computerized cutting table.

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter? #7  
Do you have a budget? I have an Everlast 60 and it will cut 1" thick steel. It's not going to be a perfect cut but for what I want it's fine. If I had more uses for one I would have gone with a Hypertherm 45 or maybe even a 60. They are built close to us in NH and the owner (I think) has offered tours to TBN members. The Hypertherm 45 is about 3 times the cost though. This is a piece of a flywheel that I cut.

View attachment 505452
I think you might be talking about Jim Colt... he is a member of TBN and posts every once in awhile... handle is jimcolt. While I don't believe he is THE owner, rather I think Hypertherm is an employee owned company. He has offered factory tours if you contact him. I met him at the FabTech show in Las Vegas last fall. I got to try out their brand new to the market 45XP after debating over the 30XP vs. 45 for a looong long time. Glad it took me so long as the 45XP came out in the meantime. After trying the 45XP I was sold.

Someday I hope to get a 4ft by 4ft CNC table as well. Go bigger if you can afford it and you see production speeds to be necessary, but I say you can't go wrong with the brand and customer service.

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter? #8  
I have a hypertherm 1000 on a CNC table and for hand cutting I had a smaller hypertherm 350 till it broke . I replaced it with the Hobart 40i from farm and fleet and I love that little thing. 5/8 is about the max on any 220 v machine for a nice looking cut. everything else is going to be a hack job and need grinding.

Last edited:
   / Can you have too much plasma cutter? #9  
If you get a plasma over 80 amps and cut sheet metal, You will can install smaller amp tips for a nicer thinner cut than what an 80 amp tip would do even when turned down to a lower amp

/ Can you have too much plasma cutter? #10  
If you get a plasma over 80 amps and cut sheet metal, You will can install smaller amp tips for a nicer thinner cut than what an 80 amp tip would do even when turned down to a lower amp

Just assumed they all could dial in the amps. Is that not true?