Anybody recognize this cylinder holder?

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I've never seen this type of cylinder holder before, but I really like it. Anybody know where to buy it or who makes it?

20160604_220430.jpg

Belay that... I just found it. Quick Fist Super Clamp - 2-1/2" to 9-1/2" Inner Diameter - Rubber - 5 lbs Quick Fist Trailer Cargo Control QF2;)

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #2  
Thanks for posting that link, Cord. Those clamps are cheap and will come in handy for a variety of things. I'll probably order a couple.

They are rated as having a 50 # working load but they should be fine for smaller cylinders. I would utilize TWO spaced out for taller cylinders though.

I usually make my own for welding carts.

IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7527.JPG

Congrats on the new welder you ordered!

Terry

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #3  
Thanks for posting that link, Cord. Those clamps are cheap and will come in handy for a variety of things. I'll probably order a couple.

They are rated as having a 50 # working load but they should be fine for smaller cylinders. I would utilize TWO spaced out for taller cylinders though.

I usually make my own for welding carts.

View attachment 506620

View attachment 506621

Congrats on the new welder you ordered!

Terry

Try to emulate these! This is top notch examples, those rubber straps have zero place in my shop. It doesn't take much to undo those and then the bottle is not secured. Something as simple as bumping into it or the ground cable brushing it. I have pretty extensive experience with them and don't care for them in this application.

Brett

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #4  
On the couple carts I have made, I've just used a small piece of chain from a kid's swing set.

40810_8.jpg

If they can withstand kids up to 100lbs swinging on a pair of them, one will hold a cylinder in place. Less than a buck per foot and doesn't turn brittle after 10 years...

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #5  
I'm probably just getting old but I find chains functional but noisy.

I built my oxy-acetylene cart to keep it narrow and it's difficult to keep tanks from rocking around with chains.

IMG_2312.JPG

Terry

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #6  
Some hose or an old sock with the toe worn out is good enough to slide over the chains for those the rattles rattle their nerves or those that don't want their tanks scratched up by the chain. You can buy rubber coated chain for less than a buck a foot too. Keeping tanks from rocking in the chains is just a matter of positioning the chains and their hooks so the fit they tank snugly and prevent any wobble.

I can make tons of different fixtures to do what needs done for the dozen dollars those cost each. It seems some folk find a need for needlessly spending money, those straps are a prime example in my opinion. Priced at $5 a pair, I could see it being worth it to save the hassle of doing it for yourself. $12 each is ridiculous.

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder?
Personally, I don't like the cylinders loose, so I'll tie them up tight. Usually use an old ratchet strap for this because they're cheap and effective. What I didn't like was the time it would take to adjust the strap and tighten it. I was trying to find a better solution for the cart I'm going to build and came across these Quick Fist's and thought they'd be a good solution. The company makes a ratchet strap that looks like it would work great, but it only goes up to 8". I thought about a cylinder clamp, they can be purchased already fabricated, but my argon cylinder is smaller so I'd need two different sizes and they might interfere. This clamp will accommodate several sizes and should be quick to close.

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #8  
Some hose or an old sock with the toe worn out is good enough to slide over the chains for those the rattles rattle their nerves or those that don't want their tanks scratched up by the chain. You can buy rubber coated chain for less than a buck a foot too. Keeping tanks from rocking in the chains is just a matter of positioning the chains and their hooks so the fit they tank snugly and prevent any wobble.

I can make tons of different fixtures to do what needs done for the dozen dollars those cost each. It seems some folk find a need for needlessly spending money, those straps are a prime example in my opinion. Priced at $5 a pair, I could see it being worth it to save the hassle of doing it for yourself. $12 each is ridiculous.

Good points and I value your opinions.

The other options suggested here were most likely only beneficial to those TBN'ers where "good enough" doesn't quite cut it. :)

Terry

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #9  
The other options suggested here were most likely only beneficial to those TBN'ers where "good enough" doesn't quite cut it. :)

Terry
Nope, no place for good enough when there is room for better... DIY wise!

/ Anybody recognize this cylinder holder? #10  
I have 2 of the origional size quick fists holding a shovel to the side of my truck. 0 unintended releases in the past 9 years sitting out in the sun.