Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one.

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #1  

txlawdog

Tractor
Mahindra 2538
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200629093_200629093
Looking for something portable so I can weld up iron fence posts, blind stairs, entrance gate, tractor implements breaks/improvements, etc. I hear Hobart is a decent brand and it is allegedly made in the USA. I know I could spend more but this would be left at my hunting property and really hate to leave a high dollar machine at a place I go to about twice a month, more during hunting season. Plan to retire there and hope this would last a few years.

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #2  
Hobart in now owned by Miller. I have an older Miller that has done me proud. It has an 18 hp Tecumseh. I can run 1/8 inch all day with it and 5/32 fairly decent. 1/4 lugs it down pretty hard. I only use 1/4 to air gouge with carbon rods. If you can find an old Miller trail blazer you can also run a squirt gun with it.

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one.
Thanks for the info Hummd47.

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #4  
That welder has a pretty low duty cycle...

Personally, I'd want something that has a better duty cycle as I would consider that welder a very light duty welder...

I guess it really depends on how big of projects you will end up using it for.

SR

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one.
That welder has a pretty low duty cycle...

Personally, I'd want something that has a better duty cycle as I would consider that welder a very light duty welder...

I guess it really depends on how big of projects you will end up using it for.

SR

Yes I agree, not a real workhorse but I'm hoping it would do for now. Wasn't planning on doing real big projects, just light work, or at least that is the plan. thanks for the input

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #6  
I also noticed that the 30% is at 130amps, for 145 (it's MAX), it's going to be even less...

I'm assuming that it's 100% duty cycle on the AC side at 4,000 watts? I'd want to know that for sure, as at some point I bet you will want to use it for generating power...

SR

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #7  
If you run only 1/8" rods the duty cycle would go up a little and for repairs the Hobart should work pretty well.. Another option for less money you can get a generator with nearly 2X the out put and you could plug a 160 amp Inverter stick unit into it. That's what I use for my seldom done remote welding. I use a 20' cord and 15' leads. Nothing works for everyone but It's nice to find a way to haul the equipment around with a 4 wheeler instead of needing a pick up or large trailer.

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #8  
If you run only 1/8" rods the duty cycle would go up a little and for repairs the Hobart should work pretty well.. Another option for less money you can get a generator with nearly 2X the out put and you could plug a 160 amp Inverter stick unit into it. That's what I use for my seldom done remote welding. I use a 20' cord and 15' leads. Nothing works for everyone but It's nice to find a way to haul the equipment around with a 4 wheeler instead of needing a pick up or large trailer.

I agree. I used to use a 5000w (6500 surge) generator and a Hobart 135 Mig unit for light field work, until I got too busy. Then I went to a Miller Bobcat.

/ Gas powered portable welder, any thoughts on this one. #10